Why is this plug so expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decided to make my own welding extension cord so i bought a 50 amp female plug and I guess I'll get some 6 gauge SOO wire so it can handle 50 amps in case I need to use it for something else one day. No sense in putting a 50 amp plug on then putting 8 gauge wire that's only rated for 40-45 amps, but why is this plug so expensive? I think for the male end I'll just use a basic 90 degree plug for $12 The plug is almost the diameter of a grape fruit.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Eaton-5...ij-cCjiSOaROHBWj79aVrYlitOK5PdJRcoiX6Vmw

Last edited by a moderator:
I used this for an outlet $8.88
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton...le-Outlet-Black-R10-00279-S00/300324414?

[Linked Image from images.homedepot-static.com]

And this for a plug. $46.00
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Eaton-5...=REC-_-searchViewed-_-NA-_-206469358-_-N

[Linked Image from images.homedepot-static.com]

Last edited:
That's how I charge my Tesla. Ran 50' of #6.3, 50A breaker and recepticle to garage. $180 in wire alone.
$600. Met a union electrician at Costco eating hot dogs...

I have the three prong outlet. That part shown in the pic that goes behind the metal plate isn't the expensive part.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
That's how I charge my Tesla. Ran 50' of #6.3, 50A breaker and recepticle to garage. $180 in wire alone.
$600. Met a union electrician at Costco eating hot dogs...

Seriously? Imagine the issues with the power grid if everyone in the neighborhood adds a 50 amp breaker to the their panel. There is actually documentaries about how our electrical grid is out of date and overloaded already. Never really understood why they can't just build more power plants, maybe because the US doesn't really want anymore nuclear power plants built.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
Seriously? Imagine the issues with the power grid if everyone in the neighborhood adds a 50 amp breaker to the their panel. There is actually documentaries about how our electrical grid is out of date and overloaded already. Never really understood why they can't just build more power plants, maybe because the US doesn't really want anymore nuclear power plants built.
33.gif

This is one of the silliest posts I've read in quite some time.
Conjecture, supposition, projection, and rash generalizations all in one post.

Oh, and by the way, you're plug is expensive because it's specialty, heavy gauge, and has a high load rating.

A NEMA 6-50 is not in common use. The NEMA 14-50 is used on household electric stoves thus it's easy to find in home improvement stores. The "California 50" series of twist-lock connectors is common for RV applications.

Charge your tesla at 3 am when the grid has ample surplus power.

6 gauge wire may be overkill. You could be looking at electrical codes for continuous duty, in wall, with less than 2% voltage loss. All stuff that isn't applicable to a welder extension cord. I run my 40 amp welder on a 10 gauge "Yellow Jacket" brand cord that I cut the ends off of and put the correct 220V connectors on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back