:::Why Is The New Ranger Taking So Long?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NDL

Why is Ford taking so long to bring the new 2018/2019 Ranger to market?

I understand that they had to reconfigure the truck for left hand drive, and I realize that they had to reengineer the dash; firewall; steering column, (steering) rack, etc.

Many of the major components look to be the same. The frame and rear suspension are said to be the same. Much of the front suspension (control arms, etc.) should be the same (as the overseas version).

The Ranger likely won't have any 'all new' powertrain options.

Sadly, the exterior, and the majority of the interior, look identical to the overseas version - which is too 'car like'.

The 'reengineering' aspect of some items aside, a lot of what Ford is using appears to be 'off the shelf' components.

Why is it taking Ford so long to bring this truck to market?

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Ford is making a killing on the F-150.

Why rush the Ranger into production and hurt F-150 sales ?

+1 Ford is exploring the $30k/truck profit market right now, so not much incentive to enter the $3k/truck profit market of the midsize class.

Just buy and old-er one and put a Lincoln INTEC or Coyote in it
smile.gif

The problem with the Ranger is going to be the same as the Colorado. I had the original Colorado, which I purchased new in Sept. 2004 for $11,000. Admittedly, it was regular cab 2WD, and the only options were the I-5, tow hitch, and traction control. But that is what people like about a smaller pickup. A basic bare bones, for a good price, that they can do a little light hauling with. The new Colorado is much bigger. And also a lot more $$$. When I was looking at pick-ups this year, I was originally looking at an F-150 2WD, with a locker and the 2.7, and not much else. I could have got it for about $26k, out the door. I looked for the cheapest Colorado, a 2WD 4 banger, and it was about the same $$$. And, I could only find a couple here in the Denver Metro, so equipped. Same price correlation as the trim levels go up. The new Ranger is going to be the same. All of these guys hanging out, waiting to replace their old Ranger with a new one, are going to have sticker shock. If really wanted an inexpensive smaller pickup, I'd go look at a Frontier. IMHO.

I'm showing a bunch of new Colorados priced from $18k. Big difference from the 26k you mention. See below for link.

Link

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I'm showing a bunch of new Colorados priced from $18k. Big difference from the 26k you mention. See below for link.

Link

Understood. I was talking about right here. In addition, my guess is that price OTD is about 4k more with fees and taxes.

Last edited:
Another thing I see wrong (w/new Colorado) is they get only 2 mpg more with a four cylinder/six speed manual than a fullsize Chevy with the 4.3 auto. You lose your capability with a small truck. It can't tow a decent sized boat or camper, so why bother.

I'll bet you they will screw it up with to small an engine, make it ugly as sin, but if it is, Ford and all their enginners will wonder why isn't anyone buying this piece of junk

Is this going to be a four door truck with a worthless short/mini bed? Now that I own a few acres, a truck would be handy and I would love to buy a regular cab with a 7.5" bed like offered in the discontinued S10's and Rangers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NDL
Why is Ford taking so long to bring the new 2018/2019 Ranger to market?

Two big things have to happen to bring a vehicle to market: You need a vehicle to build and a place to build it.

You talk about what needs to change in the vehicle to bring it to market, now look at what needs to change in manufacturing to bring it to market.

Everything.

As much engineering goes into how to manufacture a vehicle as it does to the vehicle itself. While electrical engineers, mechanical engineers, and designers are working to make a vehicle to build, an equally large team of manufacturing engineers are getting manufacturing plants up and ready.

Think assembling cars is easy? Ask Telsa how hard it is: Behind Tesla's Production Delays: Parts of Model 3 Were Being Made by Hand

The Ranger is going to be assembled at Wayne Stamping and Assembly, where the C-Max and Focus are currently manufactured. Look at what has to happen to make Ranger production a reality:

Re-engineer vehicle for N. America market - Design, safety, and emissions
Tool stamping and assembly plant in Mexico to integrate US-spec Focus and C-Max
Engineer stamping and assembly operations for N. American vehicles at Wayne
Move production of Focus and C-Max to Mexico
Tool stamping and assembly at Wayne for the Ranger
Develop supply chain for new Ranger in N. America
Begin producing vehicle

Rumors began about the Ranger coming back in 2015. Ford officially announced it in early-2017. It will begin production in 2019, probably as a 2020 model.

Also take into account an incoming president that inserted himself directly into the middle of this manufacturing plan and all the uncertainty he brought (and still brings) with him.

The Ranger is a decent looking truck but buyers will prefer an entry level F-150 for a few more thousand dollars.

Ford loves selling those $40,000+ F-150 trucks, I'm actually surprised they decided to bring back the Ranger.

From Car&Driver:

Why It Matters: The sales potential is significant. Toyota has been quietly selling gobs of Tacomas—just shy of 180,000 in 2015. And GM sparked new life in the class, selling more than 100,000 Coloranyons last year. In its heyday, the Ranger shamed them all, selling nearly 350,000 in 1999.

Platform: Our Ranger will use the same body-on-frame construction as the truck sold elsewhere in the world. Like GM’s mid-sizers, it’s only slightly smaller than its big brother; the crew cab is actually longer than a base F-150. But GM has proved that even big small trucks can sell without cannibalizing sales from the full-size lineup.

There's a nearly 300,000 unit per year market segment that Ford isn't in that it apparently dominated. All you need to know.

Why the Toyota Tacoma grill?? tfltruck.com photo

Ford has to ramp-up mid-2018 production in the existing Focus/Cmax plant in China to accommodate the US-built Focus line that being pushed out by the Ranger/Bronco. Ford decide that moving Focus production to China vs building a new plant in Mexico will save around $500 million. The small car market in the US is very soft and barely profitable now that gas is "cheap" again and Americans are once again buying larger trucks and SUV's. Short memories and Deja vu all over again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back