Why is so much oil and lubricants sold in 1 qt bottles?

We had a customer today bring 8 individual quarts of oil in to have their oil changed. They were in Napa bags so I know he paid out the tail for those. I told him if he goes to Walmart a lot to get oil there for cheaper because I asked if he got it on sale he said no. Then I found out he is one of these fake oil at Walmart people so yeah.. lol. He said he got the individual quarts because they are easier for us to pour. But I will say for 452,000 on his 2005 Suburban maybe his “real oil” in individual quarts is doing the trick lol.

I buy the 5 quart jugs however I am not a quart hater either. I haven't bought a single one quart of engine oil for a long time. The single quarts are good for AT fluid, PS fluid and applications that do not require large amounts of oil or fluid.

But the question remains, why/who are the consumers buying 1 qt of oil.
It's the same people who buy 1 pack of cigarettes instead of a carton, or 1 beer instead of a six-pack. Another words, if I only need 1 quart for top-off, and I don't have much money or I don't have space to store a jug of oil, why would I buy a jug of oil?

Buying oil in jugs makes you buy more oil than you actually need, in most cases, and not everyone cares to store extra oil.

We had a customer today bring 8 individual quarts of oil in to have their oil changed. They were in Napa bags so I know he paid out the tail for those. I told him if he goes to Walmart a lot to get oil there for cheaper because I asked if he got it on sale he said no. Then I found out he is one of these fake oil at Walmart people so yeah.. lol. He said he got the individual quarts because they are easier for us to pour. But I will say for 452,000 on his 2005 Suburban maybe his “real oil” in individual quarts is doing the trick lol.
452k ? Maybe you are starting to appreciate the bow tie 😷

It's the same people who buy 1 pack of cigarettes instead of a carton, or 1 beer instead of a six-pack. Another words, if I only need 1 quart for top-off, and I don't have much money or I don't have space to store a jug of oil, why would I buy a jug of oil?

Buying oil in jugs makes you buy more oil than you actually need, in most cases, and not everyone cares to store extra oil.
And then heads to a rent to own store 😷

I have plenty of space to store extra, but have no interest in storing it. When I drain the cars one takes 5.1 and the other 5.7...I buy 2 5 qt jugs and one 1 qt...no way I'm buying a 3rd big jug for less than a quart of oil needed. With my quantities the remaining 4.2 quarts would just make things more complicated on the next change too. What do I do with the leftover little bit? Goes with the old oil to the recycle *gasp*

There's no right or wrong answer and I appreciate all the feedback. It's fascinating that for some people like myself, I find it comforting to have many hundreds of quarts of oil on hand and don't find storing oil a hassle and in fact when purchased on sales and in bulk it's a huge economic savings.

But others find even storing a partial jug, and measuring a partial quart from a jug and storing a jug not worth the apportioned economic savings. In the aggregate it seems if one lives his life just buying single servings and only what you will use right now, that must be a tremendously expensive lifestyle.

Again, not criticizing and no right or wrong but I just don't subscribe to the "only buy what you will need in the next 5 minutes" philosophy. I'd be broke with no supplies of anything.

I have plenty of space to store extra, but have no interest in storing it. When I drain the cars one takes 5.1 and the other 5.7...I buy 2 5 qt jugs and one 1 qt...no way I'm buying a 3rd big jug for less than a quart of oil needed. With my quantities the remaining 4.2 quarts would just make things more complicated on the next change too. What do I do with the leftover little bit? Goes with the old oil to the recycle *gasp*

That's the way I do it. I use to buy a 4 l or 5 l jug and an additional 1 l bottle (or two).
At the same price per liter I'd even buy 1 l bottles only since they're easier to handle,
but that just isn't the case.

What pisses me off about these quart bottles is you NEVER get all the oil out of them at a pour. Once a bottle is empty you have to store it upside down, and you will see there was a significant amount of oil remaining.

What pisses me off about these quart bottles is you NEVER get all the oil out of them at a pour. Once a bottle is empty you have to store it upside down, and you will see there was a significant amount of oil remaining.
IDK, if you pour it out until it starts dripping, there isn't enough left in the bottle to bother with...maybe a TBL spoon?

Years ago my father had an oil burner Astrovan. He’d get a 13th quart out of a case by taking the “empties” and leaving them overnight in a funnel to drain into an empty container.

I’d be fine if they were gallons and get rid of 1 & 5 … 2 for my 8 quart V8 …
or 3 jugs for my next two 6 quart engine OCI’s …

Single quarts are nice to have for a car that burns oil, but I keep a couple empty quart bottles for measuring from larger jugs. I have carried a single quart in the trunk, but the days of burning a quart on long trips died in the modern car era.

My 90’s and early 2000’s cars seemed to always need a quart on long trips. I can’t tell you the last time I added oil to a car that didn’t leak.

Back