Why is only M1 HM 10W40 SN?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 40 weight oil doesn't have the same additive restrictions a 30 weight does. Basicly the 30 weight M1 HM additives are too high to get the API SN.

Originally Posted By: richport29
A 40 weight oil doesn't have the same additive restrictions a 30 weight does. Basicly the 30 weight M1 HM additives are too high to get the API SN.

^^^This^^^

40 grades do not have the ZDDP limit of 800PPM for API SN.

If you are looking for a HM SN in xw30, there are some:

Maxlife - SN /GF5
Maxlife syn - SN / GF5
GTX HM - SN/GF5
MS5K HM - SN/GF5
PNZL HM - SN

I have Mobil1 0W-20 and 5-W30 that are both rated SN. I'm sure there are other Mobil1 oils of other viscosities that are rated SN.

Originally Posted By: Le_bow_ski
I have Mobil1 0W-20 and 5-W30 that are both rated SN. I'm sure there are other Mobil1 oils of other viscosities that are rated SN.

Sure, but it seems that the OP was specifically inquiring about HM oils.

Is there really any difference between HM and SN rated motor oil besides the marketing?

Yep.

High mileage oils are just that. They can have elevated levels of zddp which makes them unable to meet the SN classification and from what I've seen usually meet the outdated SL spec.
High mileage oils can be formulated to meet various spec's,SN is the latest API classification.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Does this make a 40 wt oil a better oil because of the add package??

Depending on your application, I would say yes(as long as it is Mobil 1 HM 10W40) LOL...

Last edited:
Is there really any difference between HM and SN rated motor oil besides the marketing?

HM and SN are not mutually exclusive. There are SN HM oils and even a few SN/GF-5 ones. These can even be used in brand new cars where SN is the primary spec.

Originally Posted By: wemay
If you are looking for a HM SN in xw30, there are some:

Maxlife - SN /GF5
Maxlife syn - SN / GF5
GTX HM - SN/GF5
MS5K HM - SN/GF5
PNZL HM - SN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back