Why is NOACK/volatility loss a big secret?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do some oil companies publish their numbers and some don't? It really does seem like it's a big secret, what am I missing here?

It's the same with sulfated ash, HTHS viscosity, and other metrics. Gotta imagine it's for one of two reasons:

A. That number changes slightly from time to time; or
B. They don't think it'll help their cause to list it publicly.

Or maybe both, depending on the situation.

But that's just me guessing.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Cast your vote for full disclosure by being careful where you spend your money.

Can you explain why I would care whether they are published or not? As long as I purchase an appropriate viscosity oil with the required ratings for my vehicle, why would I vote for full disclosure?

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
I only wish my daily weight loss was the same as my NOACK!

Try to mix your conoctions faster
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Can you explain why I would care whether they are published or not? As long as I purchase an appropriate viscosity oil with the required ratings for my vehicle, why would I vote for full disclosure?

Okay, that's one vote against disclosure.

Originally Posted By: jdavis
Why do some oil companies publish their numbers and some don't?

Noack is already accounted for in the various industry and mfg specs that an oil meets. Maybe having an exact number doesn't add much benefit from a view point of a typical customer?

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Okay, that's one vote against disclosure.

lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif

NOACK is one area where Amsoil and Redline tend to excel, based upon their well advertised test results.
Given that the mainstream XOM and SOPUS products are probably not going to match up well (excepting lower volume outliers like M1 5W30 ESP), there's probably not much for them to gain by publishing their numbers. 99.9% of oil buyers would never look at these numbers or even know what they meant, anyway.

I still can't figure out the fuss over NOACK. If 10% or more of your oil "distilled" away, everybody would be topping up relentlessly. Instead, most of us don't have to bother from one change to another, regardless of which oil we choose. My belief is that for most of us, if not all of us, NOACK is a meaningless number.

Originally Posted By: FlyPenFly
NOACK is a critical number. This is why it's often hidden.

Critical why? How is it critical to an ICE?

So those manufacturers who "hide" the value are making oils which are potentially dangerous to an engine?

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
NOACK is one area where Amsoil and Redline tend to excel, based upon their well advertised test results.
Given that the mainstream XOM and SOPUS products are probably not going to match up well (excepting lower volume outliers like M1 5W30 ESP), there's probably not much for them to gain by publishing their numbers. 99.9% of oil buyers would never look at these numbers or even know what they meant, anyway.

Correct. But as Quattro Pete has pointed out, in order to meet various specifications it must be within a specified range. There is little to no evidence that within that range a value near one end or the other is significant. I'd like to see the evidence if there is.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
NOACK is one area where Amsoil and Redline tend to excel...

Excelling on measurements that don't matter has been a feature of Amsoil marketing for decades. Four-ball tests, anyone?

I agree that if said oil meets a standard then it does meet it. And that's all that does matter. It would be helpful if those refiners did publish more information. No one is accusing them of not manufacturing products appropiately.

If it doesn't matter at all... Why then was the original Pennzoil Ultra NOACK at 6.6% and Amsoil was around 6% with a CCS of less than 3400 not impressive and indicative of a very, very good oil?? Because with those test results it clearly shows that those two oils were way better than others out there. If Dexos approval is to be thought anything of then why does it have to be less than 13% to meet it?? Why could it not be 15% if it didn't matter?? Why have the NOACK levels be dropping with each new API approval if NOACK did not matter?? It has to matter on some level..

I think both Mobil and Pennzoil synthetics are about 10-11% which is lower than many oils. Mobil AFE for me now.

Originally Posted By: bbhero

If it doesn't matter at all... Why then was the original Pennzoil Ultra NOACK at 6.6% and Amsoil was around 6% with a CCS of less than 3400 not impressive and indicative of a very, very good oil?? Because with those test results it clearly shows that those two oils were way better than others out there. If Dexos approval is to be thought anything of then why does it have to be less than 13% to meet it?? Why could it not be 15% if it didn't matter?? Why have the NOACK levels be dropping with each new API approval if NOACK did not matter?? It has to matter on some level..

How I understand the NOACK is....the lower it goes...the lower oil consumption will you get with that...

Wich may not be so important for an average Joe on your continent (OCIs at 3-5kmiles)...

...but it has high impotance for us here with long drain intervals...

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
If you want low NOACK go with 5w-20 or 10w-30.

Yes these are two good grades to chase for low Noack.

It's a shame that 10W30 is not a Dexos grade, in a warm climate, it's a great oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back