Why is my air filter getting clogged with oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could have a bad PCV, or you have extreme blowby from your engine which is not a good sign!
shocked2.gif

Yes as in bad rings!
shocked2.gif

I would check the PCV first though... Likely culprit if it just developed all of a sudden.
thumbsup2.gif

Have a compression test done if your PCV checks out OK.

If you need to replace the PCV, use an OEM from the dealer only. Don't use aftermarket.
thumbsup2.gif

I hope for you that's all it is. (Most Likely)

My aunts Dodge Spirit just did the same thing. We checked this/that and it turned out to be low compression.

Car didn't smoke or use any oil up until that point and ran just fine.

We're not sure what happened but we will find out when we tear apart the engine to rebuild it with another one we got that needs a head gasket.

She doesn't have a lot of money and my dad who is a retired mechanic has lots of time.
grin2.gif

Good luck and let us know here how you make out!

cheers3.gif

Steve

if it turns out not to be the pcv...I was thinking as a temporary fix to the oil problem, would be to add a inline air/oil filter that I could periodically drain...Just looking to keep the air filter and intake clean if it comes to that.

You could fabricate a "Catch-Can" I had posted a thread recently that shows you one I made for $22 bucks, but you could use household stuff to catch the oil in before venting the gas to your air-box.

I had this issue on a chevy engine and the vacuum port at the base of the throttle body was plugged shut with carbon when I first got the car with 130k miles on it. If you have no vacuum sucking out the vapors from one side of the engine, then it has nowhere to go but out the other valve cover to the air filter housing, which in my case was found dripping with oil and air filter was soaked with oil on that side too.

Use some Auto-RX and clean up the rings. This will slow down the blowby considerably and improve the performance of the engine.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Use some Auto-RX and clean up the rings. This will slow down the blowby considerably and improve the performance of the engine.

X2. This is certainly worth a try!

Originally Posted By: nucleardawg
if it turns out not to be the pcv...I was thinking as a temporary fix to the oil problem, would be to add a inline air/oil filter that I could periodically drain...Just looking to keep the air filter and intake clean if it comes to that.

Even easier, you can get a breather filter, preferably on the end of a few feet of hose that you could stick down near the frame somewhere.

If the fresh air hose that leads to the airbox goes to "clean air" you'll want to plug that somehow.

Just stick a valve cover breather in the hole like we did years past. You remember everybody had chrome valve covers with the round breathers from Edlebrock.

Well bad news the pcv was replaced, same problem of blow by exists...The bronco sat for a couple years...I have ordered 2 bottles of arx tonight. Was thinking of doing a quick engine flush in the meantime, and installing the "catch can" along with a quick oil change, after the flush...Any recommendations for brand of engine flush, to help free up the stuck rings while awaiting the arx?

Even if you have "Stuck" rings it's not going to make a huge difference on your problem IMO.

The engine is toast and you are living on borrowed time.

I would setup a catch-can in between the hose that comes from your engine to your air box that is carrying the oil to your air filter.

A Mazolla-jar with screw on top works perfectly. Then when it gets full you can pour it back into the engine.

My dad did this for a friend who didn't have a ton of money and he drove his car almost a year like that.

I would also switch over to a 15w50 oil for now as this will help cut down on blow by.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back