why is mobil-1 put down so often?

Status
Not open for further replies.
great board. turned me into an oil junkie.

through some advice on this board, I put mobil1 5-30 in a 92 acura legend with 40K on it. car sees some brutal conditions in toronto with a 3km drive to work and back and other short trips. rarely sees highway mileage.
even though I admittetly was using the el cheapo crappy tire oil before with 3K OCI's, I am seeing some amazing results already from mobil 1.
besides the fact that I can most likely extend the OCI to 5000miles which saves me time and hassle, this stuff cranks very quick in the morning, the car seems to warm up faster and a vibration that existed in the 1300-1500rpm area has all but disappeared. other than the cost, I just do not see a downside at all.

I browse through this board almost everyday now and see mobil 1 put down more than any other oil that is discussed here. why is that?
sorry for the long post and once again, fantastic board with some great people.
cheers.gif

When your the most popular, you make for the biggest target. Mobil 1 is the most popular synthetic, making up something like 75% of the synth market. Combine that with its reasonable pricing and its consistantly good numbers and it represents a good baseline to compare with.

I think you will find that most people are not attacking Mobil 1 because they feel it is bad, but because they are looking for a product that is not only good, but the best.

Cary

Hi,
berge - Welcome and yes your comments are true

I believe that objectivity is lost here occasionally as people who are M1 "knockers" have also a Commercial interest to push. Or very little actual user experience

Sometimes it appears to be "don't let the facts stand in the way of a good story"!

It is a good Forum but I must admit those with a Commercial interest to push are putting objectivilty at risk and perhaps spoiling it for the rest

I do not even use Mobil 1 now but the facts speak wonders - it is probably the most cost effective synthetic engine oil available. And it has been for nearly 30 years!

Regards
Doug

quote:

I believe that objectivity is lost here occasionally as people who are M1 "knockers" have also a Commercial interest to push. Or very little actual user experience

Agree. But the level of profesionalism for the most part is outstanding, especially when you consider other forums.
wink.gif

[ January 26, 2004, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

I guess have seen some attackers, but fully sustained barrages with evidence just not be happening on BiTOG. (Yeah OK my mom was an English teacher and I rebelled)

I think that it goes back to them holding so much of the market share. I think that because they are so large people expect more from them in the synthetic segment.

It could also be due to their advertiseing. They use a bit of hype that is not true. Their slogan is "Nothing Beats Mobil-1!" When you make a statement like that you are going to make yourself a target!

I can not think of anyone that out right bash's Mobil-1 other then TSOA. I think a lot of people try to point out that their are better products available at a higher price!

I think it is preety safe to say that most people that use synthetic oil used M1 first before moveing to other products!

I agree...because it's the best selling synthetic, you will obviously get the most comments about it...good and bad. Whereas there may be less comments (good and bad) about a lesser known brand eg. Quaker State synthetic.

JohnBrowning said it best. When you are a mega corporation that uses slogans like "Nothing Beats Mobil-1!", you make yourself a target, especially when the UOA's don't consistently prove it.

Before I came to this board and started reading UOA's, I was dead set on Mobil 1, convinced by the masses and the hype that it was simply the best oil, period. I still think it's a very good oil, but no better than Valvoline Synpower, or Castrol Syntec, unless you are worried about the Group III vs. Group IV thing. Plus I had major oil consumption issues with the M1 0w-40 in our Volvo which was solved when I switched to Synpower. I don't know if that counts as a "put down." As soon as M1 starts putting up UOA numbers that consistently beats Synpower or Syntec, I'll be using M1 again. It's that simple and nobody will need to twist my arm.

As for those who have financial interests, like the Amsoil and Schaefer guys on this board. I have found them to be extremely professional. I rarely, if ever hear "put downs" of M1 from them.

quote:

I can not think of anyone that out right bash's Mobil-1 other then TSOA

Right, because *so* many Forum users track turbo German cars with over 15lbs of boost, and Mobil 1 15w-50 is such a HUGE part of Mobil's product line-up, I could not resist to "bash" that particular product in that particular application with NO reason or experience at all.
dunno.gif
Funny, how it becomes "BASHING" when there is a real legitimate doubt that "Nothing Beats Mobil 1".

quote:

Originally posted by berge:

I browse through this board almost everyday now and see mobil 1 put down more than any other oil that is discussed here.

I am a self-confessed M*1 hater. It is just not cost-effective. When you pay 5X the price of mineral(compared to Chevron Supreme mineral), you expect 1/5 the wear rate. But you do not get 1/5 the wear rate, quite the opposite in fact. Very often you get double-digit wear metal numbers, whereas the Chevron mineral and Castrol GTX mineral have only low single-digit wear numbers. I think I've made my point. For the numbers breakdown, click into the UOA's section.

quote:

why is mobil-1 put down so often?

LOL.....everyone is giving Amsoil a break.
lol.gif

Hey, here's new topic: Why do people keep posting threads asking why Mobil 1 is always being attacked?!!
lol.gif
patriot.gif

quote:

As for those who have financial interests, like the Amsoil and Schaefer guys on this board. I have found them to be extremely professional. I rarely, if ever hear "put downs" of M1 from them.

Just to be fair and point out something, I have seen TooSlick actually recommend other products such as M1 and extol other products virtues when "extolling" was due.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
But don't they sell for the same price in the single bottles as the other viscosities down there? [/QB]

Yes. All viscosities are the same price, they generally list for $4.79/qt, $22.82 5qt jug.

Mobile 1 is like a GM car. It is a good product for the money. But, you always get the feeling that it could have been great if they paid more attention to the customers than the bean counters.

Hasn't Mobil 1 made a lot of improvements since we first started looking at it? Maybe thay are listening, or at least they seem to be trying to make a good oil...

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:

HUH? I guess mileage is not a factor here.
rolleyes.gif
[/QB]

Pablo, there are more than a few people who buy M*1 and still change out at 3,000 miles. So, their OCI is still the same as Dino oil users. These short-interval M*1 users also have abnormally high levels of wear metals in their UOAs.

If you have an old-style manually adjusted tappet/valve train(as opposed to hydraulic valve lifters), you will find that it needs adjustment all the time if you use M*1. But if you use a good Dino, there is a good chance you will never have to adjust the thing for the whole time you own it. This is one of the many observations I made re: M*1, and these observations are why I believe it when people say, M*1: high engine wear rates.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back