Why is it so hard to get people to do their job, need to vent.

What ever happened to people who appreciated their job (and paycheck)? I hate even saying this, but the evidence is all around.
My goal was to make my boss/department look good, and when layoffs came I wanted to be the last one to be laid off.
Now it seems people think it is their choice to "work" from home or even show up.
I am disgusted as I see hard working immigrants who kick everyone's butts with their incredible work ethic.

Funny story.

I don't care that much any more, because retired.

I sent an email about a high priority urgent, serious matter about and I am not kidding, a potential failure mode in high reliability space electronics (sat propulsion) to my boss ................NOTHING. Others knew of this about the same time, I cc'd them as well.

A day or two went by. Next thing I know he's in my face yelling why didn't I tell him. I told him "I sent you a high priority email"

Him "I get a lot of emails"

Something that important I would have sent email and 5 minutes later immediately call the big boss.

If no response…..

Send:
Text, Fax, messenger pigeons, get a match and light dry leaves on fire and create Smoke Signals, etc…. warning him of the problem.

Last edited:
Something that important I would have sent email and 5 minutes later immediately call the big boss.

If no response…..

Send:
Text, Fax, messenger pigeons, get a match and light dry leaves on fire and create Smoke Signals, etc…. warning him of the problem.

Well I was young and you are perfect, so there is that.

Hahahhaaha **** Monday AM QBing gets old and I made my point.

If the work is that ****ed important, don't send an email expecting it to magically get done.

Always interesting what some folks believe is a reasonable response time to emails...

My line of work, goal is to acknowledge an email in 24 hours on business days. If you can't, an auto reply should be sent indicating current status.

And if it's important, I need a reply now kind of an item, sending an email only won't cut it. An IM or phone call is required. All of my team picks up known numbers and responds to voicemail or text. Even if it's a check your email - urgent message. I don't expect anyone on my team to sit around waiting to respond to emails as they come in. We'd get nothing done if we did - they get sorted and prioritized.

I get it that different companies are different. But that's our list - phone calls/texts are highest priority cannot wait items. IM's next. Emails last...

Well I was young and you are perfect, so there is that.

Hahahhaaha **** Monday AM QBing gets old and I made my point.

If the work is that ****ed important, don't send an email expecting it to magically get done.

When I worked on medical equipment I was responsible for reporting all equipment recalls and medical device corrections to my customers ASAP.

Once I was aware of a big problem I emailed some important people (usually 4-5) in the organization and followed up with a phone call / voicemail.

Healthcare industry is always CYA mode 24/7/365….. 😷

I love it when someone says It was Urgent so I emailed them and waited 2 days for a response. If it was Urgent why didnt you do something as soon as you realized you were not getting an Urgent response. I have to respond Urgently but you can wait 2 days. Sorry, a lack of planning on your part does not constitute an Emergency on mine.

The kids nowadays want to use chat, not phone nor email.

Email, you know 20 years ago it was entirely acceptable to have a 72 hour delivery timeout. Not every computer was connected to the network 24/7/365. Even Microsoft 365 364 363 isn't up all the time. Almost every email gateway is run by overhead dollars.

If you really want an application that chases everyone down on every device they own use Slack.

Well, this is an interesting thread outlining today's communication challenges. My summer college student employee says he hates talking on the phone and claims this is prevalent in his 20 something generation. My coworker and I (aged 66) hate email communication that ends up with a dozen back and forth exchanges because there is always "one more detail" that was not communicated well. My coworker says "just call and resolve it with one communication lasting a few minutes.

I do not consider email a good method for urgent needs that require a timely response. The responsibility lies with the requester to get the problem addressed, whatever it takes.

in 1 way cyber means it didn't happened (as above).
In another it is a way to document what can not be documented by conversation (face to face can become a 'he said, she said').

For action I 1) speak to some one. I can follow it up 2) with e-mail:"today we met to discuss xx. We (or U) agreed to x by x. I'm so glad you were such a reliable partner and just wanted to say thanks. I owe you a coffee." etc

Back