Why is GC (Syntec 0W-30) no longer VW 503 01 rated

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using GC "German" Castrol Syntec 0W-30 European Formula for years. After I recently bought some more, I noticed that the new bottles no longer list it as being VW 503 01 rated. The old bottles said that it exceeds VW 502 00, 505 00, 503 01. The new bottles only say that it exceeds VW 502 00, 505 00.

It is my understanding that VW 503 01 is a more stringent standard for long life oil with higher HTHS for turbocharged gasoline engines.

I checked the Castrol USA website (http://www.castrol.com/castrol/datasheetsearch.do) and their product data sheets (http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_internet/castrol/castrol_usa/STAGING/local_assets/downloads/p,q/pds_syntec_usa.pdf and http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_internet/castrol/castrol_usa/STAGING/local_assets/downloads/p,q/Edge_BLACK_PDS_Sept_2011.pdf) no longer list VW 503 01. An old data sheet found elsewhere did list VW 503 01.

Can anyone help me understand why Castrol no longer lists VW 503 01?

Can anyone recommend another oil that still meets VW 503 01 and ideally MB 229.5 which is moderately priced and easy to find (retail) in the USA?

Should I be looking for a VW 504 00 approved oil to replace 503 01?

Oils that meet MB 229.5 are synthetic therefore they are not cheap. One oil in the MB 229.5 that you can find at almost any auto parts store is Mobil 1 0W40, regular price of M1 0W40 at Walmart is $6.xx a quart, but you can get it on sale at one of the chains for around $5/qt regularly.

This is slightly off topic but along the same lines...

Castrol Edge SM (Gold) was "Guaranteed" for 15k and it explicitly stated that on their website.

Now...

Castrol Edge w/FST (SN) has no info on their product that states it is rated for 15k (unless I am blind and can't see it, which is quite possible). I hit the "Chat" with customer service and got a reply that it is still rated for 15k. Why don't they have it in writing? What the heck Castrol??

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
OK, but why don't GC and M1 0w-40 meet VW 504.00 then?

Does an oil have to be low/mid SAPs to meet it?

Yes.

Low SAPS with specific performance and MPG criteria. All the 504.00/507.00 oils I have seen are 5w30 also.

Originally Posted By: BobFout

Low SAPS with specific performance and MPG criteria. All the 504.00/507.00 oils I have seen are 5w30 also.
+1. 504/507 will always be 30w.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chubbs1
This is slightly off topic but along the same lines...

Castrol Edge SM (Gold) was "Guaranteed" for 15k and it explicitly stated that on their website.

Now...

Castrol Edge w/FST (SN) has no info on their product that states it is rated for 15k (unless I am blind and can't see it, which is quite possible). I hit the "Chat" with customer service and got a reply that it is still rated for 15k. Why don't they have it in writing? What the heck Castrol??

Is there an SN 0W-30 and 5W-50 out from the Syntec line? They did say it was coming. Is it here?

Im referring to in the USA

Originally Posted By: theorist
I've been using GC "German" Castrol Syntec 0W-30 European Formula for years. After I recently bought some more, I noticed that the new bottles no longer list it as being VW 503 01 rated. The old bottles said that it exceeds VW 502 00, 505 00, 503 01. The new bottles only say that it exceeds VW 502 00, 505 00.

VW 502 is a current spec.
VW 503.01 is no longer used.

Originally Posted By: 45ACP
Is there an SN 0W-30 and 5W-50 out from the Syntec line? They did say it was coming. Is it here?

Im referring to in the USA

5w-50 SN is already in stores. The 0w-30 will most likely never be SM/SN rated unless they completely change the formulation. And if they do, the 0w-30 would not be able to meet all the German specs.

On the German website it looks like SLX Longtec changed to SLX Professional Longtec with the only difference being the removal of 503.01. It is still listed as a fully synthetic, which means it's a group 3/4 and has the same viscosity specs. My guess is that it is the same formula since it's still SL rated. 503.01 was replaced with 504, which is their SLX Professional Powerflow LongLife III. I think your fine as long as the bottle still states "Made in Germany".

Powerflow Longlife III

Last edited:
For whatever reason, the 0w30 is a different formula that was made in and targeted for European engines. All the others are not made in Germany.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back