Why is exhaust stupid expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That pipe you linked in the OP is 409; the Borla is 304, so it won't rust
smile.gif

Low production volume with a high production cost, long items are expensive to ship, mandrel benders are expensive

The shape of your CTS-V exhaust looks complicated too, making it even more expensive that it already would be

Magnaflow's exhaust for your CTS-V is about the same price as your Borla, but it's 409--now THAT is a high price
mad.gif

I see no "OE replacement" aftermarket exhaust like Walker available for your car yet since it is so new, and for now, the only people replacing their exhaust want an upgrade (most factory exhausts are now 409, which last longer than the plain steel used in years past)

I've seen Borla catbacks for other cars priced at $500, but they seem to be a simpler setup than what you have and likely made in high(er) volume

Originally Posted by IMSA_Racing_Fan
A 5 foot length of 2 1/2 inch stainless steel pipe is $50 retail yet a exhaust system cost almost $1,800!
https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Straight-Exhaust-Pipe/dp/B074XJN6M7

You're paying for the R&D that Borla does to make sure it fits correctly the first time around. Borla mufflers are not cheap also, you also have to pay for labor, overhead, etc, and as well as shipping such a large box.

You also linked 409 stainless which is a cheaper stainless steel than T-304 Borla uses.

If you want to cheap out in an exhaust, find yourself a custom exhaust shop that will properly mandrel bend it and weld it properly. It might cost half as much.

Last edited:
If you think you can make a better exhaust system out of T-304, not the cheaper linked 409 for less money, by all means do so. You might even have some customers.

If it makes you feel better, the linked Borla system is cheaper than the full titanium exhaust systems on our Sportbikes. Not to mention the custom exhaust system on our sportscar.

Sometimes, you get what you pay for.

Last edited:
good stainless = $$$ many bends , flanges etc = $$$ mufflers cat converters ..I agree seems like way to much money but on the good side should last longer than the car

Originally Posted by Pew
If you think that's expensive, an Akrapovic exhaust for the Evo X is around $3K. An ARC intake for the Evo X (nothing more than a shiny box with a filter) is almost $700.

Sometimes you pay for the quality - and usually quality comes with a very well known name. Sometimes it's because some boys thought something was "swag" because of a name, or because it's "rare", or discountinued.

Akrapovic systems sound amazing. Some automakers even use Akrapovic as stock.

That $50 pipe the OP mentioned is 409 series ferric stainless steel. A magnet will stick to it. It will eventually corrode albeit probably way after you get rid of the vehicle. It all depends where you live. Cheap stainless steel BBQs are made of 400 series SS.

Last edited:
That price does not compare to the price for the exhaust for my Powerstroke diesel. I would estimate the Powerstroke diesel to be around $10,000 due to all the emissions parts involved.

Originally Posted by Donald
That price does not compare to the price for the exhaust for my Powerstroke diesel. I would estimate the Powerstroke diesel to be around $10,000 due to all the emissions parts involved.

Yet that one is only about $100 to replace with a straight piece of 4" 304. No bends to deal with in the expensive section if parts fall off

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by Pew
If you think that's expensive, an Akrapovic exhaust for the Evo X is around $3K. An ARC intake for the Evo X (nothing more than a shiny box with a filter) is almost $700.

Sometimes you pay for the quality - and usually quality comes with a very well known name. Sometimes it's because some boys thought something was "swag" because of a name, or because it's "rare", or discountinued.

Akrapovic systems sound amazing. Some automakers even use Akrapovic as stock.

Indeed some of them look and sound amazing. On a GTR or BMW S1000RR they're great, I don't like it so much for the Evo (all personal tastes anyways.)

Instead of the Akrapovic, I think a better example for the Evo would be the AMS stainless single tip exhaust that now uses a vibrant muffler for $1300. In that case you're definitely paying more for the name now since AMS' quality has fallen a lot in the past half-decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back