Why is everything "tactical"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was shopping online for a backpack, and most of them were "tactical backpacks." Does this mean they have pockets for grenades? Do they think I'm joining the SWAT team? This was on the Bass Pro Shops website, for Gosh sake. TV commercial: Get this new tactical flashlight! Only $14.95! Buy now and get another one free! The only real tactic I use with a flashlight is shining it on things I want to see. Sporting goods stores have "tactical" folding knives, with camo scales and black blades of course. If I drop that in the grass, I've got about a 50/50 chance of finding it. I bet the SEALs would be real impressed with my fifteen dollar tactical folder.

I do think, however, that Toyota is doing well with their "technical" line of pickups, particularly in the middle east.

I mean, to witness these moments of sudden clarity is what I live for !!
laugh.gif

Nowadays, everyone was something "tactical or tacticool". Can't go into the local sports/gun store without everything being "mil-spec" even though it dosen't need to be.

I've been hearing 20somethings increasingly refer to things that they apparently consider cool, as 'Savage'. I guess 'Tactical' isn't too bad...

Isn't always true.

When I was in networking, and had to talk to Cockney Bankers about policy, absolutely everything had to be "strategic".

A bank suit wouldn't have been seen dead being merely "tactical".

(I got the impression it would have been career-threatening, "More than me jobs worth, old son" stylee.)

Both terms are used more and more in schools, business, emergency response, and yes marketing to the point where the meaning gets blurred …

But can’t complain about getting a $10 “T-flashlight” that could have been $40 in another marketing scenario

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Gag gifts I gave my buddy a four pack of a gag gift I found Tactical TP!
Was the TP olive drab? Camo?

Originally Posted By: CT8

CAMO

If you think it's entertaining looking at all the products being marketed today as being "tactical", try actually talking to someone who fully buys into the mind-set.

I'm not talking about the typical SWAT operator or special ops soldier--the genuine folks usually have an unnerving quiet about them as they quickly size you up and decide on an efficient way to kill you, should the need arise.

The individual I'm thinking of is the armchair special ops guy who lives in his Mom's basement and will talk your ear off about how tactical his pants are.

This is what my tactical oil change pants look like - they hide stains like no other

Originally Posted By: CT8

CAMO

Khaki would be more appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back