Why is Chevron oil so expensive @ PBoys?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1.79, 1.89 Why would you not go to Apple Valley Kragen for 99 cents CS with the add or 49 with the add and rebate. I'll buy Havoline at WM in between Kragen sales at 1.76 but that's not often.

Kragen is taking awhile on its rebates but its still 99 cents.

Chris142,

This is my theory:

People in general equate a low price with low quality. So then the marketing folks will raise the price up to meet their competitor's price in hopes of more sales. Guess what? IT WORKS! The guy that walks into the auto parts store, sees that CS is almost the price of GTX, and thinks to himself: "hmmm, this CS must be pretty good if it's priced the same as GTX." So then he walks out the door with a case of CS.

Then you have the very clever marketing executives that assign a high price to an oil, then offer it at a discounted price or rebate, when essentially the oil is only worth the discounted price to begin with.

Interesting theory. Another interesting theory is that Pep Boys may not sell enough C/S to justify ordering in sufficient quantities to get Chevron's lowest wholesale pricing. I'm sure there will be other interesting theories posted.

Why is Chevron oil so expensive @ PBoys?
quote:

Originally posted by Chris142:
Valvoline, Penns, Qs etc are $1.79 but the Chevron is $1.89.

1.79 isn't expensive, but 1.89 is
confused.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back