Why is Castrol Edge 0w30 only API SL rated and not higher?

Hello! Does any body of you guys use CASTROL EDGE 0w30 black bottle? i also considered using it for my car as it got high ratings from users but I saw it is "only" API SL rated, why hasn´tit been upgraded to API SN or SN plus? Does anybody have an idea because if you check Penzoils 0w30 or Amsoil they are rated SN!

I'm not sure that this would be the complete/accurate answer however, Castrol EDGE 0W30 may still have high(er) levels of Zinc, which was reduced below 1000 ppm when SM rolled out sometime in the early 2000's. Maybe you can find a virgin oil analysis(VOA) on Castrol EDGE 0W30.

Last edited:
Another thing is that the HTHS of Castrol Edge 0W30 is too high I think to meet the latest API ratings . Castrol 0W30 is not a thin energy conserving oil.

I have a load of 0w-30 Castrol in my Saab turbo right now. It seems fine, no oil consumption. I think it was made in Belgium. Bought it last year at the Auto Zone oil rush for $2/quart.

Is your Edge ACEA A5/B5? If so...then its "natural" that it is, API SL...

Dont ask me why...but I have not seen A5/B5 with higher API rating than SL.... Could it be that thos is just standard additive pack...

Higher ZDDP levels for protection....to make it up for lower HTHS 🤭

Hello! Does any body of you guys use CASTROL EDGE 0w30 black bottle? i also considered using it for my car as it got high ratings from users but I saw it is "only" API SL rated, why hasn´tit been upgraded to API SN or SN plus? Does anybody have an idea because if you check Penzoils 0w30 or Amsoil they are rated SN!
For which vehicle? Castrol 0W30 is almost W40 oil.
It is used in Euro vehicles, and Euro manufacturers do not care for API, which is anyway not stringent. Reason why it is SL are high levels of ZDDP and Phosphorus for W30 grade. API requires up to 900ppm I think of ZDDp, Edge 0W30 is almost 1100ppm.

I think my Redline is SG or SJ rated as it has the 1990s Zinc PPM. Never has scared me that much. I think even amsoil isn't that far off either. I can appreciate that Castrol SL 0w30 is available because it does offer something that is now missing in most standard oils.

I think my Redline is SG or SJ rated as it has the 1990s Zinc PPM. Never has scared me that much. I think even amsoil isn't that far off either. I can appreciate that Castrol SL 0w30 is available because it does offer something that is now missing in most standard oils.
Redline 5W30? It is in similar range with Castrol Edge 0W30/40 and Mobil1 0W40.

Is Belgium Castrol 0W30 sold at Walmart in 5 quart jugs? I don’t ever remember seeing it there.

Back