Why is 10W40 so bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Do you think a 10W-40 motorcycle oil (such as Honda GN-4) really needs to be used in the Honda Rebel or can I just use a good automotive SL rated 10W-40? The motorcycle oil says it has a special additive package for use in the engine and transmission of the bike, better detergents, blah, blah, blah. Anyway would a good auto oil like Havoline 10W-40 or Castrol GTX work just fine for 2000 miles OCI?

In my opinion the best conventional motorcycle oils are API CI-4/SL 15W-40 "diesel" oils. The CI-4 oils will not have too much in the way of friction modifiers and should not causes any problems with the wet clutches that many motorcycles have. I would not pay $4.00 or more for a conventional oil that is sold at the Honda dealer when you can get a more robust oil for less than half that price at Walmart or any auto parts store. I use Rotella T 15W-40 in my 2000 Kawasaki ZR-7.

[ May 17, 2004, 02:47 AM: Message edited by: Sin City ]

An API CI-4/SL motor oil will have more detergents than a typical API SL 10W-40 motor oil and as such will keep your engine cleaner (and in the case of a motorcycle with a wet clutch the transmission cleaner also). These oils also have more anti-wear additives than most API SL oils and most if not all motorcycle specific motor oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back