Why I have stuck with Amsoil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been reading for years,just joined today.Been using Ams for 30+ years. Bought a 84 Buick in 88 w/ 75k miles w/ GM dealer OC since new.At time,no garage,OC in snow,wanted longer OCI.MB1 and Ams was about all on market at time .Cork gaskets were not MB1 friendly in early days.MB1 shrunk cork,Ams swelled cork.I went w/Ams.I was doing 12 k OCI w/3 GM filters.The Bendix Corp. Needed some 10 year old cars to do Gov't emission tests.A week later,the engineer said it was excellent for 90k mile engine.I told him it had(by this time) 190k.He did believe me after we talked about it..(6 digit odometer).The car was sold to a friend 10 years later w/ 340k. My list......84 Buick v-8 340k 12k OCI. 1985 Toyo trk 4x4 22r started Ams at 100k. 12k OCI ending at 425k.....1990 Toyo 4x4. 12k OCI sold at 380 k...still driving....2000 Toyo Tundra 15k OCI Ams SS 5w30 w/280k...still driving 2001 Toyo Sequoia 15 k OCI ,SS 5w30 w/250k ...87 H-D flh bought w/ 19k in early 90's..20w50 MC oil.OC every fall...now 140 k. I always topped off w Ams btwn OC. This is my experience, with extended OCes. It has not costed me much more then Dino oil and many more OCs.

You know it has an added authority when the post starts with “Been reading for years”

Maybe owning Toyota has something to do with high mileage as well. 🎯

it's not just oil but quality and maintenance of the car.
btw, I like Amsoil just saying there are many other factors besides the oil.

Last edited:
Maybe it made sense 30 years ago but doesn't make sense now. Mercedes has 13k oil changes at one point using Mobil 1. They shorten that to 10k as people couldn't stand to go that long between oil changes. Besides, Mobil 1 has MB 229.5 approval and Amsoil doesn't plus they're a lot more money, got a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 for $12.88 after rebate. Amsoil is nowhere close. End of story.

At least you can say the OP is loyal to one brand of oil. Does he have a financial interest in Amsoil, who knows.

I'm usually not set in my ways with oil choice and loyalty. I could be persuaded to switch......

Anyone else read the OP in the voice of that really old crusty guy that seems to be at every bar when automotive topics are brought up?

Regardless welcome, I think we all sort of sound like that.

I wonder if he would have had the same results with M1 or PP or another quality synthetic (how many quality long interval synthetics there were back then I couldn’t tell you) but it looks like it has worked well for him. And at least he wasn’t wasting it with 3-5K intervals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back