Why I have stuck with Amsoil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe there are people that use Amsoil and the bypass toilet paper filters and go something like 20-30K OCIs or longer.
That would be like 3-5 years for me at the moment :ROFLMAO:

Whats the fun in changing your oil once every 3-5 years?!

I think with oil in general it's very easy to judge things by how they were 10, 20, or even 50-60 years ago. My father refuses to use Castrol, Pennzoil, and Quaker State because they sludged things up in the 1960s and 1970s. He would use Shell, though. Nevermind Pennzoil and Quaker State are now owned by Shell directly in the present day and some oils are exact Shell formulas.

To a point there's brands and products I trust more from my own old age (for example, I trust Panasonic appliances most as in my experience 1990s Panasonic stuff I had as a kid was indestructible) but people have a hard time seeing things as they currently are, and not how they were decades ago.
I mentioned to someone a while back and I think people here have said similar. Oils were so vastly different years ago. Today I think not so much.
With all the Government / EPA / environmental regulations they probably are all getting closer to 'just as good as the next" than ever before.

Well at least it isn't lying about other brands spam....the disinformation campaign by Amsoil peddlers in the early years of the internet was enough to make me vow to never buy it again.
You know a lot of folks have no idea and were never exposed to the disinformation campaign by Amsoil peddlers. Some folks have never even bought Amsoil from the peddlers. Anyone can go onto their website and buy it. (I imagine, today just like from any other company.) So what exactly did these peddlers do to foment the reaction any time someone says the dreaded word AMSOIL!? Some of us must have missed some really good back and forth "OIL Wars" years ago.

One of the first things I did when I first started reading this site in 2003 was purchase 4 quarts of 5W20 synthetic direct from AMSOIL for my 2003 Civic. I ran it for about 9000 miles or so and sent a sample to Blackstone for analysis. The analysis basically suggested not running it so long for the next oil change. At that point I decided not to experiment anymore with long OCIs. Just not worth it to me. I’d rather use cheaper main stream oils and run 5000 - 7500 intervals.

One of the first things I did when I first started reading this site in 2003 was purchase 4 quarts of 5W20 synthetic direct from AMSOIL for my 2003 Civic. I ran it for about 9000 miles or so and sent a sample to Blackstone for analysis. The analysis basically suggested not running it so long for the next oil change. At that point I decided not to experiment anymore with long OCIs. Just not worth it to me. I’d rather use cheaper main stream oils and run 5000 - 7500 intervals.
Heard that. Never did an oci over 7500 mi no matter what oil was in engines. Just never felt comfortable. Even at knowing that some go 10,000 / 12,000 etc... with their OSA and all. To each his own. :)

Heard that. Never did an oci over 7500 mi no matter what oil was in engines. Just never felt comfortable. Even at knowing that some go 10,000 / 12,000 etc... with their OSA and all. To each his own. :)
I do it all the time, normally 9-10k, did 11k once. But then again, Mercedes tends to spec 7.5-8 quarts of oil so there's a lot more oil to spread that life around. Standard interval for Mercedes is 10k, used to be 13k but I guess people thought that was too long so they lowered it 10k. A friend of mine rented a Ford Expedition and the oil change light came on while he was driving. Avis told him they'd pay up to $75 for an oil change so he just went with conventional oil. The oil change monitor seems to be on a 10k oil change interval.... Maybe he was supposed to put in synthetic but the oil change place wanted over $75 for that so he didn't do it.

You know a lot of folks have no idea and were never exposed to the disinformation campaign by Amsoil peddlers. Some folks have never even bought Amsoil from the peddlers. Anyone can go onto their website and buy it. (I imagine, today just like from any other company.) So what exactly did these peddlers do to foment the reaction any time someone says the dreaded word AMSOIL!? Some of us must have missed some really good back and forth "OIL Wars" years ago.

I think Amsoil would really be worth it in power equipment or possibly things like motorcycles, etc. Amsoil 2 stroke oil seems a big cut above average. Those are the kind of things with rebuilds in the dozens or hundreds of hours of running, so if spending an extra $10 on oil lets you rebuild it at 250 hours instead of 100, that's a giant win even if the oil is $20 a quart or something.

In a car, though, there's been plenty of 300-500K engines running off conventional cheap oil still with good compression, etc, or even cases of real high end racing teams running vanilla Mobil 1 0w40, etc, to me the argument of Amsoil in most cars isn't too logical.

This thread is a good example of why new posters don't stick around.
Yup. I noticed OP hasn't been back. It's a shame.

As far as Amsoil, with the port injected vehicles from the early 90s to just a few years ago, it could be run quite a bit longer than many other oils. In the 200x years I went reliably up to 15k doing mostly highway and using UOAs, no oil related issues. Also did a test between numerous oils at 5k and they were all pretty even....so agree that only 5k on Amsoil is a waste.

Fast forward to today, direct injection and turbocharging are so hard on oil that the intervals are necessarily shortened. Each vehicle is different and blanket statements about OCIs can no longer be made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back