Why hasn't Hyundai moved on to 0w oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ntdouglas
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
0w vs 5w is a cold weather start issue only. 90% of engine wear is at cold start. Fast spinning turbos need oil immediately if not sooner.

That has been my thinking. Although like I posted earlier I don't know a whole lot about synthetics and intricacies of each viscosity. Thats why I'm relying on you experts.
smile.gif
Whats your opinion on M1 5w20? Thats what is used at my dealership.

Depends on the driving you do and how hot the engine oil gets.

Just normal commuting I'd say 5w20 is OK, if you work that motor any then I would bump up to a Xw30 weight at least.

I have a 2012 Kia forte which is loud on startup for the first minute. It clacks and has valve train noise like a diesel. I have used 0w20 and 5w20 in my car, by far 0w20 is much quieter at start up than the 5w20.

I will probably stay with the 0w20 because of lack of startup noise and it just seems to run smoother.

I very highly doubt using a 0wXX would be a cause of question for a warranty issue. I think a lot of people on this forum get paranoid over splitting hairs.

Originally Posted By: ntdouglas
I use M1 0w20 in my Accent and 0w40 in my Genesis Coupe turbo. What's the chances of having an oil related failure on these oils that would void the warranty?

So you have the same turbo engine as mine correct? What brand 0w40?

I think the turbo engines are actually different. One is FWD the other RWD. The Accent is not noisy at all. Can't hardly hear it run and many times I have ground the starter because the engine is already running.

The Genesis Coupe has very noisy up sized fuel injectors, stupid rattling dual mass flywheel and the 3" exhaust is kind of loud.
smile.gif

Both oils are M1 and the 0w40 just got the price cut at Wally Marts down under $23 for a 5qt jug.

The Gen coupe turbo engine is also different from some of the other Hyundai turbo engines because the Gen coupe still uses multi port injection, the other Hyundai turbo engines have GDI.

That is also why the Gen coupe turbo has less horsepower than the other engines.

Spent a couple of hours hitting 4 or 5 oil manufacturers websites and looking at product data sheets for different viscosity ratings. To my surprise they are all very close at viscosity ratings at different temperatures.I was surprised to see that most 5w30 is slightly thinner than 0w30 if I can remember correctly. The main information I was looking at was viscosity at 100c and 40c. All other information was over my head. So a few things I'm starting to think is: 1. Its a good thing I'm going to use synthetics: 2. I'm starting to obsess about which viscosity or brand I'm going to use(wife would wholly agree): 3. I'm more confused than when I started this thread.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back