Why hasn't Hyundai moved on to 0w oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

Just bought a 2013 Santa Fe turbo. Manual calls for 5w20,5w30 or 10w30. This is my first turbo so I want to use synthetic. Still debating what brand/weight to use. Any advice on that would be welcome. Anyways, does anybody know why Hyundai isn't specifying 0w oil like most other manufacturers? Wife just bought a 2014 Mazda 6. Got it home and immediately looked in the manual for oil specified. Its 0w20. Any thoughts/opinions? Thanks.

The reason many manufacturers don't mandate "0w-XX" is because that would automatically mean having to use synthetic oil, and manufacturers don't want you to think that you HAVE TO use synthetic, even though in case of a turbo engine, it's certainly a good idea.

By the way, we just had a similar discussion regarding a recommended oil for Kia Optima turbo. You may find some of it interesting/applicable to your car, too:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3082040#Post3082040

Why can't other manufacturers do as Toyota did on my sister's '08 RAV4 and my B-I-L's '09 Corolla...both of them say 5W-20 and 0W-20 (in that order) are acceptable.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
The reason many manufacturers don't mandate "0w-XX" is because that would automatically mean having to use synthetic oil, and manufacturers don't want you to think that you HAVE TO use synthetic, even though in case of a turbo engine, it's certainly a good idea.

+1

I'm a bit surprised that Hyundai is specifying a 5W-20 for your turbo as an option, that is unusual. And yes do use a 5W-XX syn' oil in your Santa Fe turbo.

Originally Posted By: lubedude13
Why not use a 0w30 such as Amsoil or Mobil?

Its a coincidence you mentioned that because that was going to be my next question. Would 0w20 or 0w30 be good for my turbo engine? I've read good things about castrol 0w30.

The viscosity index tends to shear more quickly than a 5W-30 oil of a similar formulation. The wider the spread, the more difficult it is to keep that spread whole. 0W-30 spread is wider than 5W-30.

Last edited:
I use 0w30 in my car which calls for a 5w30.....I'd like to see them call "warranty issue" by using a 0w instead of 10w!!!!!
I personally use a 0w amsoil and I have NO shear problems

I use 0w30 in my car which calls for a 5w30.....I'd like to see them call "warranty issue" by using a 0w instead of 10w!!!!!
I personally use a 0w amsoil and I have NO shear problems

Your car, your money, your decision.

Last edited:
How are they going to prove you use a 0w30 instead of 5w30???

They would ask for receipts and/or UOA - Used Oil Analysis

Last edited:
So if I use a 0w30 which is maybe 2.0 viscosity numbers lower than a 5w they will deny a warranty??

I would love to see mobil or amsoil in a lawsuit on an engine failure where the car manufacturer is blaming them for the failure!! Mobils website even says it won't void any warrantys by using a 0w in a 5w app...it meets the API certification. I don't think their would ever be a warranty deny.

Using a 20w50 in a 0w20 application......I can see this but not by using a 0w30 in a 5w30 application.....

Bottom line......choose what your gut says and don't worry

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back