Why has Havoline fallen out of favor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
walmart here dosent sell it and I dont know of anywhere I can buy it. I did just use chevron supreme yesterday and I think thats either the same or a very similar oil. I can also buy a case of it for $26 at costco.

Last edited:
FYI Canadians.

Havoline 5w-20 is the cheapest regular priced 5w-20 on the market at $3.35/L @ Partsource. This beats most sale prices on anything else.

It's what I'll be running in my wife's Odyssey.

I thought I heard that the Texaco branded stations are on the way out here in the US. Maybe that is one reason the Havoline branded oil is not market much.

It's definitely a shame, as it's a great product. The only place I can find it around me is at AAP, and I've been stocking up with those $10 off coupons! As far as why, I agree with marketing as the reason. You just don't see ads for the stuff.

Last edited:
is chevron supreme the same oil like I think it is?? Chevron owns texaco and I think they both have the same viscosity #s

Though our WM doesn't sell it anymore, our local farm store (Tractor Supply) still has it at $3 per qt.

I used it and liked it.

When Havoline went to the Deposit Shield formula there was a significant price increase with it. That price increase put it out of favor with a lot of people who stopped buying it. If it doesn't sell, marketers won't stock it.

According to the PDSs, it is the same oil as the current Chevron Supreme.

And it is price competitive at my local Wal-Mart, it's quite a bit cheaper per quart than PYB and GTX.

I just bought a small stash of it. I feel like it is among the better conventionals; Chevron's ISOSYN group II+ base stocks paired with the good looking (on paper) Oronite ad pack.

As ryland alludes, what is Havoline these days? Is it just re-labeled Chevron Supreme (fine oil), or is it something else, and what would that be?

Consumers need a reason to buy any particular brand, and this gives retailers a reason to stock it. What is the reason to pick up a Havoline bottle over any other top brand? (And, no, just because your daddy and grand daddy used it with no problems isn't enough reason...all oils are totally different oils these days, especially the brands that have been bought out.)

I look at Havoline as the way to get Chevron Supreme in 5-quart containers from Wal-Mart.

I agree that is needs work from a marketing perspective, Chevron just doesn't seem to put much effort into non-fleet marketing.

I'm just wondering why it doesn't seem to be as popular among the BITOG crowd anymore, as this place seems to loathe the silly marketing claims for the most part.

Do people here think Pennzoil yellow bottle is a better oil for the most part?

The price went up to equal the Pennzoil/Valvoline/Mobil oils, it's no longer a bargain oil. Money talks..

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

Do people here think Pennzoil yellow bottle is a better oil for the most part?

Good question I'd like to know the answer to that as well. If the two oils are equally good I'd rather buy chevron because its cheaper.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
The price went up to equal the Pennzoil/Valvoline/Mobil oils, it's no longer a bargain oil. Money talks..

Ok, so why move away from Havoline just because it now costs nearly the same as Pennzoil/Valvoline/Mobil?

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Originally Posted By: Cutehumor

Ok, so why move away from Havoline just because it now costs nearly the same as Pennzoil/Valvoline/Mobil?

People are spiteful of the price increase and went back to using their Pennzoil/Valvoline/Mobil oil

Originally Posted By: Frank D
When Havoline went to the Deposit Shield formula there was a significant price increase with it. That price increase put it out of favor with a lot of people who stopped buying it. If it doesn't sell, marketers won't stock it.

Bingo!!!

Used to see the "old school" Havoline as a bargain oil, many times for as low as $1.25/qt. Not so anymore....
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back