Why??? even with Amsoil!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was my fourth trip to texas from minnesota. I like to drive continues for 1000 miles. takes me about 14 hours. My camry gets amsoil -7500 series 5W30. After 14 hours of continues drive, I am about half a quart short on oil. Any idea why???? Thanks for replies.

umm... this question has been answered many times before. High rpms (like during extensive highway cruising) = higher oil consumption, at least in some engines.

This entirely normal and expected for continuous high speed interstate driving.

Actually, not bad zt all.
grin.gif

Not sure the Group III base oil used in the XL series has the stability of the Group IV PAO's oils, but this may be here nor there.....some engines consume oil on long hwy runs, regardless of oil brand. I don't think Amsoil makes any promises here.

quote:

Originally posted by car_junkie_moron:
After 14 hours of continues (SIC) drive, I am about half a quart short on oil. Any idea why????

Yes; while averaging 71mph in continuous hiway use, it burns a little oil.

The use of high-quality synthetic engineoil certainly does NOT guarantee or even tend toward no oil consumption.

So much depends on the engine, oil, driving habits, climate etc. My daughter just drove 1800 miles in 3 days to CO (all interstate) in her 4 cyl Mercury Mystique and she checked it there and states that it is still at the full mark. Engine has 92,000 miles and never really used any oil. It is running Amsoil Series 2000 0W30. Had about 4000 miles on the oil before she left. Will change it this Christmas when it will have about 10-12,000 miles on it. (90 degree heat here and it was snowing there today).
Now my Buick 3.8L SC will use oil at high speed, about 4 ounces per 1000 miles of high speed use and it has only 60,000 miles on it. Amsoil 10W30. No consumption around the city.

quote:

Originally posted by Jeffrey Behr:

quote:

Originally posted by car_junkie_moron:
After 14 hours of continues (SIC) drive, I am about half a quart short on oil. Any idea why????

Yes; while averaging 71mph in continuous hiway use, it burns a little oil.

The use of high-quality synthetic engineoil certainly does NOT guarantee or even tend toward no oil consumption.

hiway ??

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=hiway&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&meta=

quote:

High rpms (like during extensive highway cruising) = higher oil consumption, at least in some engines.

Highway cruising is the least abusive condition for your engine.

For my 2000 Vic, cruising at 70 mph puts me at 2300 RPM. That's not very high. Compared to stop and go or drag racing, highway cruising is the least damaging for your motor.

A motor that has 200k all-highway miles is going to be in much better shape than a 100k all-city/stop and go miles motor.

I've burned about 1/4 - 1/2 qt of M1 5W-30 while drag racing. I shift at 6000 RPM and made about 11 passes that day.

Maybe try 15W-40 truck oil in the summer months or just keep on checking and adding. I wouldn't worry about anything. My Chevy Cavalier and Dodge p/u don't use any oil on road trips, but I had an old slant six Plymouth Volare' that used about what you are using. Truck oil stopped the oil use completely.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:
Highway cruising is the least abusive condition for your engine.

I never claimed otherwise. However, it doesn't change the fact that some engines like to consume more oil under these conditions.
smile.gif

quote:

For my 2000 Vic, cruising at 70 mph puts me at 2300 RPM. That's not very high.

My 1.8T is at around 3200 rpm at that speed in 5th gear. Yet, on a round trip from VA to WI (1800 miles total) with rpms around 3400-3500 most of the time, it did not consume any oil, and that was with the very thin M1 0w-30 TriSyn. So, go figure...
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Metro 100% agree with you as far as engine wear and highway. But some gas cars do consume (more) oil at sustained RPM (even 3000)....not sure why.

Is that what these small engines are turning, 3000 rpm?

My GMC 4x4 is only turning
I don't see using 1/2 qt is of any concern. Sounds real good to me

[ May 26, 2004, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: Mike ]

I just did a trip to the Outerbanks (500mi each way) with no oil consumption. That's with a '92 SAAB that runs at over 3k at 75. I was doing over 80 most of the way so it was spinning real fast. What blows my mind about this car is that I got over 30mpg for the trip in a convertible with pretty horrible aerodynamics.

I'd recommend running the regular Amsoil 5w-30, ie the "ASL" product. It is thicker than the XL-7500 series oil - HT/HS of 3.5 Cp, vs 3.1 Cp - and has a significantly lower evaporation rate - 5% in the Noack volatility test, vs 8% for the XL-7500.

In a mechanically sound engine, most of the oil you use simply evaporates. These oil vapors are then pulled through the PCV system into the intake manifold and burned in the combustion chambers ....

Going to ASL should reduce your oil consumption by approx 50% on the highway ....

Tooslick
www.lubedealer.com/Dixie_Synthetics

[ May 26, 2004, 11:17 AM: Message edited by: TooSlick ]

My VW VR6 consumes no oil around town or on short highway trips 2 quart per 1000 miles. The owners manual even says oil consumption is normal during periods of extended high speed driving.

car-junkie-moron, depending on the type and amount of "normal" driving, and the time from the last oil change which preceeded your cannonball run, you may also have been blowing/burning off accumulated condensation and fuel dilution in the sump.

Assuming the oil was full, what type of driving did you do before the trip? Could it be a combination of unburned fuel in the oil burning off and a little consumption?

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
I'd recommend running the regular Amsoil 5w-30, ie the "ASL" product. It is thicker than the XL-7500 series oil - HT/HS of 3.5 Cp, vs 3.1 Cp - and has a significantly lower evaporation rate - 5% in the Noack volatility test, vs 8% for the XL-7500.

In a mechanically sound engine, most of the oil you use simply evaporates. These oil vapors are then pulled through the PCV system into the intake manifold and burned in the combustion chambers ....

Going to ASL should reduce your oil consumption by approx 50% on the highway ....

Tooslick
www.lubedealer.com/Dixie_Synthetics

Here is the ASL 5w-30

Noack Volatility, % weight loss (g/100g) (ASTM D-5800) 6.9

and the XLT 10w-30

Noack Volatility, % weight loss (g/100g) (DIN 51581)

Why does Amsoil choose to use two different methods for arriving at the NOACK of these oils ?

Does group III require a different method and how do these two methods differentiate ?

A Google search revealed no information on this for me .

Yes, probably yet another reason they don't use a 5-20 in Europe/Germany in a 250kph capable car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back