Why don't you change your own oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been reading several threads and posts about problems people have had with some dealers and service stations, even for something as simple as an oil change. There are stories of these places telling you to come in every three months, trying to hard sell you things that are not related to the oil change, not doing a good job, stripping oil pan threads, etc., etc. Even people that bring in their own oil to these shops wonder if they are really getting it.

I use to change my own oil, then had it done for a few years, and now that I have a new truck I have decided to once again do it myself. I installed a Fumoto valve and the changes should be a snap (I have not changed oil since I bought the Fumoto but it looks easy enough). Now, if I could find an oil change place or mechanic I could really, really trust, things might be different. But physical/handicap problems aside, why do you pay others to do an oil change?

I don't. You will love the Fumotos, I have 5 of them been on there for 5 years or so. Solid, reliable and other then the filter, makes the change much easier IMO, especially if you wnat to take a sample etc.

As to your question, lack of facilities to do it oneself, fear of new cars and causing a problem, fear of warranty on new cars, getting dirty, it's a throw away car after 3 years, who knows, multiple reasons to have someone else do it

Cold weather, snow and mud are all that keep me from doing it myself. I change the oil in all my vehicles in the late fall and can usually make it until spring. A recent Auto R-X application forced me to use a repair shop, a circumstance that reenforced why I do it myself.

I live in the dead center of a relatively large and nasty cold city. Historically it was:

1. Lack of a garage
2. Lack of a flat parking spot with a solid concrete or ashphalt base
3. Canadian weather.

I have garage now with a concrete floor that is almost flat, but that is totally uninsulated, just barely wide enough for my three cars and has about 2 feet of room front and rear on my cars (eg I can barely squeeze under my cars on an angle. A Ford Crown Vic wold not fit in my garage) but even that is enough to have me changing my own oil in the dead of winter.

If I didn't change my own oil it would be because my current apartment rules/regs state that one cannot change their engine oil in the above ground parking lot, nor in the parking garage, which is the case with the majority of apartment buildings/condos in this city.

But, having parents in a nearby city, I end up changing the oil myself in Dad's garage.
smile.gif

I didnt change mine because i bought that prepaid maintence crap from toyota eventhough i brought in my own oil but this spring i start doing my own. The fumoto goes on also.

I have a buddy who lives in an apartment and he drives 20 miles to my place and we change his oil in my garage. I'd do this for anyone who is not a total jerk
smile.gif

You guys without garages need to ask a fellow BITOG'er to open up their garage for you. No doubt someone will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back