Why don't refrigerators exhaust heat outside?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im surprised that energy efficiency standards have not tackled this. I know the amount of heat is small but it still is a source of heat.

Just me splitting hairs?

Because they help heat the house in the winter. At least 8 months of the year here the heat is appreciated.

If fridge externally vented you could only place it against wall to outside for most efficient setup.
Example: My fridge is backed against a wall shared with my living room.

Exhausting the hot air from the coil wouldn’t be very effective. What you could do is install the condenser outside and evaporator inside, like a central air conditioning or mini split system. It would be prohibitively expensive though, as your fridge would need to be installed and maintained by an HVAC tech. You’d be looking at a minimum of $2,000 for a very basic fridge that way. That’s how commercial walk-in coolers and freezers work. The condenser coils are usually mounted on the building’s roof.

IT's got to be a stand alone device that's easy to install, like leveling and plugging it in.

You'll buy the cheaper, simple one.

The cost to have a hole put in the wall with a flap and a cage so rodents and bugs don't get in, and then the added cost for a refrigerator made to do this, probably wouldn't be feasible.

Originally Posted By: vwmaniaman
OK so why do ovens exhaust their heat into the house?

So you can smell that cake baking in there.
smile.gif

Guys, guys, use your heads You don't need to vent outside, just run two tubes through the wall, the compressor would be outside NOT making noise! A split unit if you will!

Last edited:
I have a hood with a blower over my stove to vent hot air from the burners or oven. I feel very little heat from my refrigerator compared to a stove burner or oven. Ed

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Im surprised that energy efficiency standards have not tackled this. I know the amount of heat is small but it still is a source of heat.

Just me splitting hairs?
Actually, a lot of commercial refrigeration is this way, condensing unit outside. Normally bigger units, like walk-in coolers, are set up this way-but I have customers with prep tables & soft serve machines set up with outside remote condensing units too. It's all in how much $ you want to spend!

It would be hard to mass produce if your fridge is "bolted" to the wall and must be soldered into some refrigerant pipes.

Consider installing a central AC could cost $1500 out of the $2400 bill, adding that to the fridge means it is not worth the cost saving.

I personally think it is better if they water cool it and discharge hot water back into the kitchen sink. Yes, you'll waste some water but it is negligible cost compare to the amount of efficiency gained.

self defrosting has condensate to deal with. You have to have a condensate drain, and it plugged, a wet floor.

Right now it evaporates in a pan heated by compressor discharge line.

More expense.

I saw (in a National Geographic magazine, perhaps?) a grocery store in Alaska where they did use the outside air to keep cold food cold.

When shopping in Alaska, don't take the frozen pizza which has the polar bear's head attached to it.
That head might be attached to the rest of the bear!

Originally Posted By: Reddy45

Just me splitting hairs?

No, you are not splitting hairs, it's valid.

when my wife won a trip to have lunch with an author (something to do with copper and tin, and mongols), it was a bit of a revelation to how much auxiliary energy her household used in terms of lighting that had to be harvested and sent outside through the HVAC system.

Have seen a couple (and that's it...couple) of Australians who have installed their refrigerators in an outward facing wall, such that the coils were outside, and the fridge body was sealed...the heat never got into the house...but their strawbale construction didn't have A/C either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back