Why don't more people support smaller operations

Why don't more people support smaller operations(instead of big Corp. Like ExxonMobil)such as Amalie? Fram oil is one choice that gives your money to someone other than the usual players

I've never dealt with a truly small blender. I considered buying some of Molakule's product but he discontinued it.

I've done business with Amsoil, Redline (Pre-CP), Schaeffer's, WPP and, Smiity's and World if you consider them small. Today the problem is the majors have really made it difficult for them to deliver an equivalent product on price.

I used lots of Amsoil and Redline 2-Stroke Racing Oil at one time amd forget the name of the blender out of Louisiana that made Walmart's Synthetic 2-Stroke Outboard Oil.

Last edited:
Usually cost. Why pay $45+ for a 5qt jug of oil when I can pay $20-30 for a very similar thing.
Every time I look at oil at Walmart, Autozone, etc they'll have a few bottles of Royal Purple. People buy it or WM wouldn't stock it.... It would be interesting to hear the reasons that different people buy it vs the $20-30 bottles that are without question high quality oils.

Every time I look at oil at Walmart, Autozone, etc they'll have a few bottles of Royal Purple. People buy it or WM wouldn't stock it.... It would be interesting to hear the reasons that different people buy it vs the $20-30 bottles that are without question high quality oils.
There are quite a few people who associate price with quality. So a $45 jug > $30 > $20 > $15.

???? personal choice ???? Agree that the Royal Purple oils on the Walmart shelves is sitting right next to some high quality oils as well. :)

ExxonMobil probably has dozens of chemical engineers designing their products and much more money to test them vs. a small company with just a few.
That's the point, big companies can run their own labs, and can employ more scientists & engineers to develop their products. Plus they have more reputation on the line if they get it wrong. This makes them a safe bet.

However I do run/buy some of the smaller local (to me) blenders such as Penrite, Nulon, and Gulf Western. To be honest, Penrite & Nulon are fairly big in Australia, just not on the world scale. They both have a good local reputation

GW is new too me, but they had some API SP rated 10W30 semi-synthetic at a smoking hot 🔥 price recently. I looked them up on the API web site, and they were listed there. So I purchased some of their oil.

This is the point of industry standards, like API SP or Dexos1 or MB 229.5 etc., they are there so you can trust the product. Especially licensed products that are listed on independent websites run by dexos, Bevo / MB etc. If you believe the specification on the oil is genuine, and suitable for your application, then you should be able to use the product.

Most people can't afford a Ferrari and they can afford Royal Purple. Can you prove a Ferrari is better (not just faster) than a Toyota?
Well, you’re bringing in prestige and bragability (name brand recognition) into the equation now. That doesn’t happen with oils. But yes, that’s the point.
Same with shoes, purses, dresses, etc. is a Coach purse at $400 really “better” than a $50 purse at Nordstrom’s? Or are you paying for name. Etc.

Well, you’re bringing in prestige and bragability (name brand recognition) into the equation now. That doesn’t happen with oils. But yes, that’s the point.
Same with shoes, purses, dresses, etc. is a Coach purse at $400 really “better” than a $50 purse at Nordstrom’s? Or are you paying for name. Etc.

Certainly some of that involved. You should have seen some of the guys in the Vette Club 25 years ago when I told them I had a store brand in the Vette. Guys had much rather say Redline (even though the street oil is just Kendall) or Mobil 1 than Supertech.

Why don't more people support smaller operations(instead of big Corp. Like ExxonMobil)such as Amalie? Fram oil is one choice that gives your money to someone other than the usual players
They aren't around where I can buy them, they aren't likely a good deal to small consumer like me, and they don't do a lot of rebate clearance sales so I cannot buy them below cost.

I am a predatory customer, I prey on clearance especially those below cost. You don't want me to "support" smaller operations you like.

Back