Why don't more people run Delvac 1 in high performance cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm guessing availability but according to Mobil's web page, D1 is an excellent gas engine oil and it mentions specifically high performance engines. Wouldn't this oil be ideal for Vettes/F150 lightnings etc? Incredible additive package and HT/HS of 4.1.
shocked.gif

[ May 29, 2003, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

It is all about distribution. Mobile has not chosen to market it to anyone other then fleets. So unless you happen along it at a truck stop or order it you are SOL!

There are Mobil distributors around. Look up petroleum procucts in yellow pages or Yahoo. Generally you have to buy it in 4 one gallon containers for I believe $83. Kind of pricy-I bought some for son's Piston-slapping GrandAm. It did work
smile.gif

I just ordered some again. 2 gallons for $50. It came in a day. There is a distributor in NJ. Do you think this oil though is as good for a gas engine as it is for a diesel? I'll be running this at some point down the road.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
I'm guessing availability but according to Mobil's web page, D1 is an excellent gas engine oil and it mentions specifically high performance engines. Wouldn't this oil be ideal for Vettes/F150 lightnings etc? Incredible additive package and HT/HS of 4.1.
shocked.gif

Hi,

In addition to reasons that others have
mentioned, not many people know about Delvac 1
because it is not marketed to general public.

cheers.gif

Jae

quote:

Originally posted by J:

A related issue is that few new cars call for 40-weight oil. Now, I may think it's fine to use a 40-weight oil in a car that specs 30-weight, and you might think that, too. But I can't see Mobil telling the public to ignore their manufacturers' specifications. Hence another hurdle in marketing it to the public.

quote:

True and too bad it's not. I sent them an email. It doesn't have Moly, but I don't think it needs it. Hey, for 2 gallons I paid $50 and it was at my door in one day. If and when I buy my next car, I'd like to use this if it really is great for performance cars. I would think this oil would be great in a Vette. I know most would say just use the 0w-40, but D1 has superior specs and shouldn't thin out at all.

[ May 29, 2003, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

In addition to the fact (as mentioned before) that it's not a well known oil, it's also a pain because it's only available in the jugs like that. Most high performance cars (at least American ones) take 5 to 6 quarts of oil, so nobody wants to buy 2 gallons and have to split it up like that when they could just buy it in single quart bottles.

Another thing too, if I were to run this oil in my LT1 Firebird compared to 10w30 or 5w30 Schaeffer Oil, I'd lose about 5hp due to the thicker oil, something I'm not willing to do.

[ May 29, 2003, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Good question..I just think it's too overkill for gasoline engines...ie. not that detergents aren't needed, it's just this oil is geared towards long drain interval diesel engines ie. rigs, not vettes. It is of course acceptable in gas engines, it's just this isn't it's first priority....

That said, any good 40 weight should have an HTHS of about 4...even Syntec 10-40.

quote:

Patman

Administrator
Member # 6

posted May 29, 2003 07:51 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In addition to the fact (as mentioned before) that it's not a well known oil, it's also a pain because it's only available in the jugs like that. Most high performance cars (at least American ones) take 5 to 6 quarts of oil, so nobody wants to buy 2 gallons and have to split it up like that when they could just buy it in single quart bottles.

Another thing too, if I were to run this oil in my LT1 Firebird compared to 10w30 or 5w30 Schaeffer Oil, I'd lose about 5hp due to the thicker oil, something I'm not willing to do.

[ May 29, 2003, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 6209 | From: Mississauga, Ontario | Registered: May 2002 | IP: Logged |

Dr. T
Member # 29

posted May 29, 2003 07:51 PM
Good question..I just think it's too overkill for gasoline engines...ie. not that detergents aren't needed, it's just this oil is geared towards long drain interval diesel engines ie. rigs, not vettes. It is of course acceptable in gas engines, it's just this isn't it's first priority....

That said, any good 40 weight should have an HTHS of about 4...even Syntec 10-40

Good points guys. I agree. Case Closed.
grin.gif

quote:

do i have the only walmart that sells it or what? it's $34 canadian. [I dont know]

My Wally World has plenty of the 1300 ..and fairly cheap ...but NO Delvac 1

quote:

Originally posted by Tommy2:

quote:

Originally posted by Greg:
do i have the only walmart that sells it or what? it's $34 canadian.
dunno.gif

Delvac 1?

Plenty of Delvac 1 5W40 at Wally-world in my end of town.. It sells out fairly regularly, but is restocked quickly .. its 34 or 36.00 if I remember correctly
Jean

By the way, I forgot to mention that a friend of mine with a 500hp 98 Firebird Formula is running Delvac 1. He got an oil change at Mr.Lube up here and they recommended it to him. His car is very quick, it runs the quarter mile in the very low 11s (normally aspirated too!) so it'll put that oil to a good test. I doubt I can convince him to do a UOA on it, especially if he's not changing his own oil (plus I noticed he was topping it up with Esso conventional oil the last time we went to the dragstrip!)

I've seen Delvac 1 in every Walmart that I've been to in the GTA. It only comes in a 4L jug, for about $34. However it is not stocked amongst the synthetic automobile oils, it's on the shelf with the "heavy duty" truck, diesel and lawnmower stuff, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back