Why don't more people just run a good Diesel Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diesel oils are good. Sometimes people worry about the higher "ash" of the older oils, but this isn't so true anymore. The good news is that they don't just come in 15W-40 anymore, dear.

Boy did this thread get off topic. Yeah, **** Biondi and On top of meatball all covered with spaghetti sauce. Fortunately, he shut up pretty quick and played some Brenda Lee. The 50,000 watts clear channel came booming through to make WLS the favorite station among the teenagers in Grove City, Pennsylvania in the 60's. Believe me I had a button set to it on my 57 Chevy. CKLW went all talk I think in 1993. Their format and my tastes had both changed enough I listened to them a lot in the early 90's. Talk about oldies.

Well for me I guess the reasons would be;

1. I don't do what most of you would consider "extended drains".

2. I don't own a diesel engine automobile.

Mikep

Userfriendly,

You seem like the kind of "old school" guy who would still have a functioning eight track player in the old wood panel, LTD station wagon.

Is that close or what?...
wink.gif

TS

What about that oil for diesel engines is designed to hold soot, but that it will thin out more in a gas engine? Is there something to that claim?

quote:

Originally posted by wwillson:
. . . I've heard that Delo and Delvac 15W-40 actually flow better than 15W, but they won't change it to say, "10W-40" because it's been called "15W-40" for so long.

Reference above quote. I listed various brands miltigrade oils (5w30, 10w30, 10w40, 15w40, and 20w50) in descending order of flash point without regard to oil weight. I was suprised that many 10w40s had higher flash points than 15w40s. But if what wwillson says above is correct, these 15w40s may be closer to 10w40s. From what I saw I will stick with Valvoline Maxlife 10w40 with a 242 F flash point, not bettered by any oil I looked at except the 20w50s. Also I noticed that HDMOs typically do not have that high of a flash point. So I question using HDMOs except maybe to get the extra shot of ZDDP. But is it worth it?

quote:

Originally posted by wwillson:
I can tell that I have good experiences with running diesel engine oil in gasoline engines. I've been running good fleet oils like Rotella, Delvac, etc. for about 20 years. I have to say that even after a couple hundred thousand miles, these engines are some of the cleanest I've ever seen and yes, I really have seen the insides of many of these. -*-*-*-*

DITTO.
I have about the same, 20 years running mostly HDD diesel oils. Alot of which have been straight weight winter and summer in Houston, Tex. and have had nothing but clean clean clean engines inside. And yes, Even after 200-300K when the valve cover is pulled it looks as good or BETTER in some cases than a SYN. This has been my experience.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Diesel oils are good. Sometimes people worry about the higher "ash" of the older oils, but this isn't so true anymore. The good news is that they don't just come in 15W-40 anymore, dear.

Can you get them in 10w30? Which ones?

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
Userfriendly,

You seem like the kind of "old school" guy who would still have a functioning eight track player in the old wood panel, LTD station wagon.

Is that close or what?...
wink.gif

TS

Watch it tooslick... My first car (my dad's hand me down) was a 78 Ford LTD mint-green wagon with the fake woody and a 400 cid motor.. No working 8 track player, that was in the house. I fit 16 of my closest high school friends in that thing. The least sexy car was the most fun by far. You could hit anything and the car would barely dent!

So...no making fun of us with woody station wagons!
grin.gif

cheers.gif

Pennzoil 10w30 Long Life HDMO is a good one.
Delo 400 10w30 is another.

My concern that prevented me from using it is the effect on the cat. converter, minor that it could be in my gas car and truck.

[ November 25, 2003, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: Valk1500 ]

Well when I was a kid we always had a station wagons. 50 Dodge Suburban, 57 Dodge 2 dr, replaced by a new 69 Pontiac with a 2V 396, t400 and 2.56 gears.
Canuck built Ponchos had chev power.
71 Plymoth SW 360 2V, 75 Chev SW 400, transplanted a 10.5 454 LPG) 76 Chev SW 10:1 350 LPG, 76 Poncho SW 455, still back on the prairies, I have to go fetch.
8 track story:
I worked in the Rodgers Pass in the winter of 75-76 as a signal maintainer for the RR.
We had an 8 track player and one tape. Eagles, Hotel California.
If I ever hear that LP again, I'll kill myself.

Hi,
Buster - I wonder why too - especially now with dual API ratings and a great range of products

I first started to use diesel rated oils in the late 50s early 60s. In problematic cold sludging engines - mainly BMC, Triumph, FIAT, MG, VW, Porsche, Volvo, Opels etc

CB,CC,CD, Cat Series 3, MIL-L-2104/46152, MB etc were our oil "numbers" then - they always did the trick. Both mono and multigrades!

VW & Porsche engines in Scandinavia loved our Chevron/Caltex Delo mono grade brews!
Shell and Mobil diesel oils were tops too!

I still use them - everything is new but nothing changes

Regards

The easiest answer is that for the average consumer, Diesel oils are hard(er) to come by than regular PCMO's.

Think about your local part store. I know around here, most parts stores carry one brand of Diesel oil, generally Shell Rotella in 15w40. If you are lucky and have a good parts store, they may also have it in a straight 30 weight or a 10w30 (for winter use around here). I have found exactly two places that carry a "synthetic" 5w40 - Wal Mart with with Shell Rotella T Syn, and a Napa that carries Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5w40. Yes, both sre Group III's, but you get the point.

If you can't find it at a store you generally would stop at, the "convenience" of using a fleet oil or diesel oil goes out the window. I've checked on priced on Delvac 1 and some of the Chevron syn diesel oils from distibutors, and in the small lots I need, the cost was way out of line.

All that said, I am using the Rotlla T syn 5w40 in my Jeep Cherokee - of course I had to visit four Wal-Mart stores to find enough for one oil change - though I did stock up this time when I found a case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back