Why don't more people just run a good Diesel Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems the Diesel oils, such as Delvac 1, AME/S3k are the top of the line oils from each company. It's also been said that AJ Almatuzio and most ExxonMobil engineers run the S3k and Delvac 1 oils. So for extended drains, and even regular drains, wouldn't a good SJ rated HD oil such as the ones mentioned above be the way to go? Engine cleanliness seems to be the most important factor in keeping a well running engine. I assume the Diesel label scares people off from it but as Tooslick mentioned in another thread, these are usually your best oils.

[ November 24, 2003, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Ok Buster, why don't you just run a 0W30, 10W30, 0W40, 5W40, or 15W40 CI-4/SL HDMO instead of searching for the Holy Grail of engine oils?

[ November 24, 2003, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: userfriendly ]

quote:

Ok Buster, why don't you just run a 10W30 CI-4 HDMO instead of searching for the Holy Grail of engine oils?

I'm talking an SJ rated one, like Delvac 1, AME Amsoil 15w-40 or Series 3000. What is CI-4 ?

Because we get all excited about stuff like GC and run out and buy 15-20 qts of the stuff, and then have no money left for Delvac 1! But really, if I could drive somewhere and get Delvac 1 I probably would, its like Amsoil or NEO, a pain in the rear to get.

I give up - because I don't run a good diesel? Makes me wonder - when Rudolph Diesel invented his "rational heat engine", what did HE use? (Hint: it's a chicken and egg thing...)

The point of this post is that if SJ rated Diesel oils contain strong detergents and strong TBN's, why the h@ll not run one? Seems like the best way to run extended drains due to higher detergency.
rolleyes.gif

i beleive the strong detergent package in the diesels oils is a great benefit for mildly sludged gas motors etc. but, i think the main reason alot of people aren't using them is that they are afraid about the pumping performance in freezing weather. also, when most manuals are calling for 5-20's and 30's, regular joe isn't even considering a 15-40 fleet oil. probably thinks it's just for big rigs like kenworths and white freightliners lol, penz

I can tell that I have good experiences with running diesel engine oil in gasoline engines. I've been running good fleet oils like Rotella, Delvac, etc. for about 20 years. I have to say that even after a couple hundred thousand miles, these engines are some of the cleanest I've ever seen and yes, I really have seen the insides of many of these. The only diesel oils I don't like is John Deere's Torque -Gaurd 15W-40 and Plus-50. My dad ran these in his Caddy and I'll have to tell you the engine was pretty sludged up the when I looked in the valve cover at 190,000 miles. He also has overhauled several JD diesel engines in tractors. The oil pan always has a coating of black slime in bottom. I've finally convinced him to switch to Delvac 15W-40 in everything. Hopefully his engines will be cleaner.

What kind of oil change interval would you get running one of the diesel oils? How would it compare to an extended interval oil like Amsoil?

Greg

buster, In my old Buick that is what I use in the warm months. I use Pens LL, Delo or Delvac 1300 in the warm months in 15W40 and then once it gets cool out I switch to synthetic 10W30.

quote:

What kind of oil change interval would you get running one of the diesel oils? How would it compare to an extended interval oil like Amsoil?

Greg

They are the same but engine cleanliness would go to deisel oils.
Thanks for the responses everyone. I guess what I was trying to get at is with the added detergency of diesel oils, I think they would be excellent for long drains.

quote:

Originally posted by userfriendly:
Hey Chicagoland...
Do you still have that radio WLS 89, and is it still the best rock station on the planet?

WLS changed over to talk about 20 years ago! I'll tell that the personalities are some of the best in the business - WLS is all I ever listen to. You can listen over the internet at wlsam.com

WAyne

off topic
dude, wls am89 went talk over a decade ago. cool that some remember. john "records" landecker is now on an oldies station. larry lujack-don't know.
on topic
i would'nt consider runnng a 15w40 in chicago winter. might consider amsoil 0w30 but expensive and hard to find. local murray's carried it but it was 8.99/qt. robbery. penz longlife 15w40 is getting loaded into all my 4 cycle lawn equipment before winter so it is ready for spring.

quote:

Originally posted by smeltjr:

i would'nt consider runnng a 15w40 in chicago winter. might consider amsoil 0w30 but expensive and hard to find. local murray's carried it but it was 8.99/qt. robbery. penz longlife 15w40 is getting loaded into all my 4 cycle lawn equipment before winter so it is ready for spring.

I run Rotella 5W-40 now year-around. I have found that cold starts aren't a problem and I get better milage (23 vs. 21 on highway) with Rotella 5W-40. I've heard that Delo and Delvac 15W-40 actually flow better than 15W, but they won't change it to say, "10W-40" because it's been called "15W-40" for so long.

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:
"In 1989 the 50,000-watt clear-channel radio giant introduced a new format..."

Oops - I thought it was before that. Thanks for the correction.

Darn about WLS.
This ex-Stephens voyageur listened to that radio station on starry Northern Ontario nights in the late 60s and early 70s when nothing else decent would come in.
Remember those Mopar ads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back