why doesnt Toyota make a "long life" oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Like the Fram ultra, longer mileage --so you do not have to change it as often?

Because Toyota labeled filters are OEM filters designed for a Toyota oci/fci specifically. They are not in the filter business to make filters for other manufacturer's vehicles, or for use longer than a Toyota recommended oci/fci.

That said, doesn't mean the Toyota filter wouldn't work fine for longer than the recommended fci, just not Toyota recommended for that purpose.

What's wrong with changing it every 10k? Are you looking to change every 20k?

Isn't it safer to change the filter more often? If filter fails for some reason, you would be driving very long with unfiltered oil.

YOu know, after all is said and done, an oil change if you are still doing them yourself here in the USA, is really cheap for dino oil, what maybe 30 bucks or so, not bad with filter.
coffee2.gif

Originally Posted By: Danno
Originally Posted By: supton

This.
Toyota is sticking with a 5K change rate on most of it's vehicles, 10K for a few, synthetic or not. The Toyota factory sites are clear on this. VVT engines, in particular, are apparently hard on oil. The manual for my 08 V6 Camry says 5000 miles, I searched for an a longer interval for that engine that Toyota may have back speced and couldn't find one on any of their factory Q&A sites. So, it's 5W 30 and 5 K until I read otherwise.

Last edited:
Their filters are OE parts, they are made to cover the mileage in the owners manual. But looking at the construction, they are long life filters anyway, just "by eye." They use most of the can for media, and the center tube diameter on the larger fatter sizes stays small like on the small sizes, giving a lot more media pleat depth. If you look at most aftermarket companies they widen the center tube much more giving shallower pleats. Some use tall combo valves and long coil springs to make the media even less. They can put whatever on a box for mileage, 99.999% of users never test their filters. I think it's there to sell the more expensive filter mainly. Otherwise why pick the more expensive one if it is the same.

Go with Fram Ultra filter or Mobil1 EP filter, both rated for 15,000 mile FCI.
The detergent pack in your oil ends sooner than when these oil filters reached their limit.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Toyota doesn't make filters.... They spec them out to 3rd party manufacturers.

I am pretty sure they are all made by Denso, which is technically 3rd party but a party that Toyota owns a chunk of.

Originally Posted By: MisterBen
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Toyota doesn't make filters.... They spec them out to 3rd party manufacturers.

I am pretty sure they are all made by Denso, which is technically 3rd party but a party that Toyota owns a chunk of.

And manufactures some in the US, some in Japan, some in Thailand and some in China.

Quote:
.....I am pretty sure they are all made by Denso, which is technically 3rd party but a party that Toyota owns a chunk of.

I have seen several Toyota labeled oil filter anecdotes posted here that were/are made by Purolator.

And yes, Toyota oil filters are made by other manufacturers for them. I think what the OP meant was why no extended oci filters are offered in Toyota labeled filter. TRD filters are fairly stout looking, and use synthetic media. That said, afaik they are not specifically advertised as extended interval filters, or show a specifically recommended fci beyond what would be a recommended Toyota oci/fci. They are intended for Toyota vehicles, no reason to advertise anything beyond the recommended oci/fci.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: Danno
Originally Posted By: supton

This.
Toyota is sticking with a 5K change rate on most of it's vehicles, 10K for a few, synthetic or not. The Toyota factory sites are clear on this. VVT engines, in particular, are apparently hard on oil. The manual for my 08 V6 Camry says 5000 miles, I searched for an a longer interval for that engine that Toyota may have back speced and couldn't find one on any of their factory Q&A sites. So, it's 5W 30 and 5 K until I read otherwise.

I have a Tacoma with the V6. It irks me that I have to change oil every 5k, even with synthetic. I wish there'd be a TSB about extending it to 7.5k or 10k. Almost thinking of switching from Mobil-1 to PYB, since it is only 5k. Sorry to hijack this thread.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JerryBob

I have a Tacoma with the V6. It irks me that I have to change oil every 5k, even with synthetic. I wish there'd be a TSB about extending it to 7.5k or 10k. Almost thinking of switching from Mobil-1 to PYB, since it is only 5k. Sorry to hijack this thread.

It's your truck JerryBob.

I'd go M1EP with a nice Wix XP and call it good to 7,500 or 10,000 miles, your choice.

Originally Posted By: JerryBob

Maybe you can. But you won't know until you spend some money on UOA's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back