why does trimmer string break?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have tossed my 10 or 15 yr old Craftsman 2 cycle for a Milwaukee M18 Fuel trimmer. As powerful and no gas to deal with. Being electric I can safely store it in basement where I am hesitant storing anything with gas due to oil boiler. Basement is patrolled by cat to eliminate mouse issues I might get in the barn.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Keep the trimmer line soaking in water until you use it. It'll last a lot longer.

??? Pardon?

Grass usually contains water. Accordingly, the string would be constantly exposed to some degree of moisture.

It would be interesting to know how soaking a plastic line in water would make it more durable?

Was the above comment possibly an attempt at humor?

Nope not humor. It just works. It also adds a bit of "weight" to the line so that it cuts more consistently (and doesn't flail around as much).

Give it a shot. Costs nothing.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
It melts and breaks off. Rubbing it up against something hard creates heat.

+1
Yep!
Better trimmer line has a higher temperature melting point.
Trimmer line can also dry-out and get brittle when it gets old, this is the reason why some people keep it in water (which is supposed to keep this from happening).

Last edited:
my husqvarna 326 rjx starts easily, especially after actually jetting. was bought new in 05 and has seen a good amount of use. 2 pulls cold, always a short quick jab to run once its hot. has been this way for years!

my husky backpack blower sadly has a sealed carb, no adjustments. still starts 2-3 pulls cold and easily 1 pull hot.

both my fathers and my chainsaws are fairly easy to start...i do run e0 and good quality oil in everything, if that helps.

Last edited:
My Echo dealer threw in a spool of .095 trimmer line when I bought my trimmer. It’s a little bit of a chore getting it to load (it’s one size larger than the recommended maximum diameter) but I can edge my whole acre yard without having to load in new pieces.

BTW, my Echo GT-225 is a couple years old, and starts cold on the 2nd or 3rd pull, and 1st pull when warm. All of my 2-stroke OPE does, but nothing’s older than 2 years at this point.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Keep the trimmer line soaking in water until you use it. It'll last a lot longer.

??? Pardon?

Grass usually contains water. Accordingly, the string would be constantly exposed to some degree of moisture.

It would be interesting to know how soaking a plastic line in water would make it more durable?

Was the above comment possibly an attempt at humor?

Stihl recomends it with both line and poly blades. It does help with older line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back