why does trimmer string break?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They call it a grass trimmer. Trimming grass will not cause the line to break (often). Hitting concrete, fence posts, weeds with woody stalks will in some cases cause the line to break instantly.

One thing is to make sure you have the correct diameter line for your unit. Try not to have too much line exposed at the head. Also, make sure you are loading the line correctly. A you tube video for your unit is usually helpful.

I don't even use string anymore. I either use the replaceable blades(3) or I just use the metal edger blade and replace it every 5-6 years. My biggest concern isn't with the string breaking and having to shut off the trimmer but, getting the trimmer started again & again & again! Pull, Pull, Pull! Now I am exhausted from trying to restart the trimmer and can't trim anymore, anyway!

If your trimmer is that hard to start after it has been running, you need either some tuning, or a new trimmer. My OLD Echo trimmer after the first start of the day which takes a couple or three pulls, starts with a single short pull.

Originally Posted By: old1
If your trimmer is that hard to start after it has been running, you need either some tuning, or a new trimmer. My OLD Echo trimmer after the first start of the day which takes a couple or three pulls, starts with a single short pull.

Actually my Green Machine w/Mitsubishi motor is quite good for an over 20 year old trimmer. However, other than ECHO and a few other top quality brands(in which none of my neighbors even buy), most "regular everyday" trimmers for the "regular everyday" homeowner, are quite a POS.

Even the neighbors who have a lawn service company come in to do their lawn, these lawn pro guys/gals are beating their brains out(IMO) restarting their equipment after they've been running for multiples of jobs. I just sit back in my easy chair, drinking a cool refreshment and watch.
laugh.gif

I continue to and always have, maintained my OPE including trimmers, leaf blowers, chainsaws, only to experience hard starts/restarts. The fact of the matter is,(plenty of youtube videos on this) that these trimmers, leaf blowers etc., are frikken hard to start/restart and if you get one that isn't, I consider you to be lucky.

Even my BIL(a small engine mechanic) has nothing but issues with restarting, leaf blowers, trimmers & chainsaws. He doesn't think there's a problem but, I do when I watch him pull 10+ times to get a piece of equipment started/restarted. And he's an advocate for NON Ethanol Fuel.

In 50 years, I've never had a single one start/restart on the first 3 pulls or less. And after they're hot(even 2-3 yrs old), they give me a hard time...even ECHO!

There are people by the hundreds of thousands that feel just like me. So, when I get one started, I don't like to shut it off until I'm done with the job at hand.

Last edited:
I have a cheap 25cc craftsman I picked up used for $50 I beat on it for hours with edger attachment 3-4 tanks at a time..

And it still restarts with 1 pull.

It can take upto 10 pulls to start cold even primed... but it has one of those ports to put the speedstarter on it.. so I just use my drill for about 2seconds for the first cold start = bad shoulder thanks me.

My string breaks because of going too slow or hitting stuff. if you are going the right speed and only hitting grass... it lasts quite good.

edging not so good.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
is it using the wrong string? or does the trimmer design have something to do with it?

I have the same problem with my old electric trimmer. Even if I manually cut the .065 string to size, it breaks immediately when I rev it before I even trim anything and I have to take it apart and rethread. I thought that maybe the string is old and bought some new tougher, premium string and same result.

I finally got my craftsman gas trimmer to run after taking the carb apart and putting it together 12 times and it runs and so far the tougher string is working.

You must use synthetic oil on synthetic string.
grin.gif

The string head is spinning at the same RPM the engine is running, about 7k to 9k.
Most cutting width is 17" tip-to-tip of the two strings. (If someone here knows how to do the math of the speed of the string tips? Over my head.)

So anything it touches creates heat from fiction. Then wears or breaks.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Keep the trimmer line soaking in water until you use it. It'll last a lot longer.

How does one soak plastic trimmer line in water exactly? It's not like it absorbs it, the moment it starts to spin, it would be completely dry.

Keep the trimmer line soaking in water until you use it. It'll last a lot longer.

??? Pardon?

Grass usually contains water. Accordingly, the string would be constantly exposed to some degree of moisture.

It would be interesting to know how soaking a plastic line in water would make it more durable?

Was the above comment possibly an attempt at humor?

STIHL seems to think it is beneficial, as apparently do others including Husqvarna and our own BITOG:

https://blog.stihl.com/practical-knowledge/2015/08/how-to-make-mowing-lines-last-longer/

http://husqvarna.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/940/~/product-support---the-line-seems-to-melt-in-the-trimmer-head-what-is-wrong%3F

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4407761/Soaking/storing_trimmer_line_i

Originally Posted By: boraticus

??? Pardon?

Grass usually contains water. Accordingly, the string would be constantly exposed to some degree of moisture.

It would be interesting to know how soaking a plastic line in water would make it more durable?

Was the above comment possibly an attempt at humor?

My DeWalt electric trimmer is the easiest to start of any I've ever owned.
Just pull the trigger.
One charge is enough to do my yard twice.
Obviously not rugged enough for a landscaper or heavy duty use but it's perfect for a job that takes me about 15 min each week.

I would buy it again in a second especially because it takes the same battery as several of my cordless power tools.
Dewalt string trimmer linky

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I don't even use string anymore. I either use the replaceable blades(3) or I just use the metal edger blade and replace it every 5-6 years. My biggest concern isn't with the string breaking and having to shut off the trimmer but, getting the trimmer started again & again & again! Pull, Pull, Pull! Now I am exhausted from trying to restart the trimmer and can't trim anymore, anyway!

The blades wouldn't stay intact trimming near a chain link fence.

Thanks for the links.

Seems unlikely but if the say it works,I'll have to give it a try.

Not that I have complaints about my line not lasting. I use the quick replacement type trimmer head on my Echo trimmers and trim a lot of course grass/weeds on a one acre lot at camp. Takes a good half hour or more to do a complete trim. Most days I'll just use two pieces unless I get sloppy around rocks and concrete which eats line in a hurry. My line is probably ten years old stored in an unheated shed year round and lasts about the same as when new. I doubt I'll see any measurable improvement.

I'll experiment with soaked strings vs unsoaked strings this summer to see if there's a measurable difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back