Why does the Saturn Vue have a Honda engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because GM heard Honda had some bad trannies.
assimilation.gif
spankme.gif

Honda got some Isuzu stuff in the trade.

The old Honda Passport SUV was a Isuzu (trooper IRC
confused.gif
...)

Take care, Bill
patriot.gif

Honda is a lean-manufacturing company, and sells every car on their lots, ever year. They don't have cars sitting like the Big 3 and other less successful importers do, which is why the Big 3 now unfortunately are having to downsize just to survive, when they should have done it years ago. I would imagine Honda sells their engines to make even more money. Domestic manufacturers have been using import engines/parts for a couple decades; see Chevy Prism (Toyota), Dodge Colt (Mitsu.)

Quote:

Honda got some Isuzu stuff in the trade.

The old Honda Passport SUV was a Isuzu (trooper IRC
confused.gif
...)

Take care, Bill
patriot.gif

it may have been a rebadged Rodeo now that I think about it...
crazy.gif

It was the Rodeo, Acura used the Trooper IIRC. I don't think either of those had anything to do with the Honda V6 in the Vue however. I think it did have to do with diesel engines and Isuzu may have been involved. It was kind of a swap of engines.

WishIhadatruck, I read the same thing...Honda needed diesel engines to sell outside N.A., they swapped with GM. I love that V6 in my Vue...vroooom!
laugh.gif

Quote:

it was a technology/engine trade as just mentioned

That is ending with the 2007 model year. With the next VUE redesign (2008), it will receive GM's 3.6L VVT V6 and the 6-speed Automatic.

Quote:

It was the Rodeo, Acura used the Trooper IIRC. I don't think either of those had anything to do with the Honda V6 in the Vue however..

Correct. And the only reason honda & acura offered the rebadaged isuzus was to fill the need for that type of SUV. Rodeos and all isuzus for that matter ceased production in early 2004. IIRC, Honda stopped buying rodeos in ~2003, or once the pilot came onstream.

Joel

It was my understanding that Honda needed deisel engines in trade for their European Market. Now Honda has developed new deisel technology. Just as when Honda needed to jump on the SUV bandwagon, they looked to Isuzu for SUV's and rebaged Rodeo's(Passports) & Troopers(Acura SLX) as their own in trade for first generation Honda Odyssey 4 door minivans (Isuzu Oasis) that were built from the Accord chissis and used only 4 cylinder engines. Once Honda engineers and builds their own minivan/SUV, they become amongst the best on the market. I suspect the their new deisel technology will be amongst the best on the market as well. They swap with other auto manufactures for products that they don't have yet until they can develope their own. And when they do, Watch Out!.

Quote:

Because GM heard Honda had some bad trannies.
assimilation.gif
spankme.gif

that's a good one
the only problem my 2004 Vue has had in 32,000 miles is a Honda trans failure
they make a nice motor, but their automatics need a lot of work

I remember reading an article (Road & Track maybe) about this and the writer interviewed someone from Honda. They asked if it was true that Honda was going to get some GM engines in exchange and they strongly denied it. It came across like they would never consider using a GM engine, and I believe the Honda engine does not have any Honda markings on it.

This whole deal is a mystery to me. Honda has nothing to learn from GM about engines and much to teach. Why Honda would supply engines for a low-line GM vehicle I cannot fathom. Oh well, these Redlines will be a cheap source of replacement engines for those who fry the V-6s in their Hondas. Keep the engine, junk the rest.

Yeah. Busted coolant hose, oblivious driver. Alloy Hondas do not take kindly to serious overheating and it is often not possible to smooth out deck and head with machine work, since the minimum valve clearances are very small. Running the engine out of oil would also do the trick. In normal use with half-way attentive drivers, no, you cannot kill a Honda.

Quote:

Honda has nothing to learn from GM about engines and much to teach.

Did you READ any of the post before you decided to post your... Honda engines are ________ ________? Because if you did, I guess you didn't get the whole trading their V6 for a diesel part.

BTW like a poster above said, they'll be getting a 3.6 and 6spd auto when they are redesigned.

It was not that I didn't read the above, it is rather that I discounted it. Give me a source that documents this putative "trade". I have read of no such thing in The Wall Street Journal, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back