Why does the dealer recommend 3k OCI's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just took the 09 Fusion to the dealer where I bought it from for an oil change. Only reason I did this is they gave me a free coupon for an oil and filter change.
Anyway I was reading the manual and it recommends 7,500 miles. But the sticker says 10,200 miles or sep 09 which is 3 months/3 thou miles.
I've always done my own oil changes and plan to stick with the 7,500 it calls for. Any thoughts on this?

Quote:

Because old habits die hard...
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: RWEST
Quote:

Because old habits die hard...
frown.gif

+1
thumbsup2.gif

Also the 7500 might be for optimal driving conditions, but 5K miles should be doable with any SM rated Dino today!

I would question them on it... They are most likely trying to get the average owner to be a good sheep and return every 3 months for an oil change and so they can "recommend" other things that need to be done so they keep lining their pockets!

YEP.Sure was hard on me.Still is.I will say these vehicles with oil life monitors are great for the general public.Got a lady friend with a Cobalt.Fully loaded! 06 model.Has 95k on it going 45 miles twice daily through Atlanta trafic.Her CHANGE OIL NOW comes on and she gets it done like clock work.She even monitors the oil life graph to get a idea of where its at.Without it who knows when it would get serviced.I asked her how many miles it went as a rule before it came on.She said she didn't have a clue or cared as long as it said it was time to do it.

Last edited:
If you were willing to give me 30 dollars every 3 months or every seven, I'd probably have you come by every 3. Especially since if you're willing to come that often, I can probably get 200 bucks off of you.

Well I just called them and they said to keep the warranty intact, I had to have it there by 7500 miles.

I'm gonna dump the stuff they put in there at 10k then start on my 30 quart Castrol Syntec blend stash for 5k mile intervals.

I'm not a quick lube/dealer change kind of person. Never have been, never will be.

Originally Posted By: mmmmoil
Just took the 09 Fusion to the dealer where I bought it from for an oil change. Only reason I did this is they gave me a free coupon for an oil and filter change.
Anyway I was reading the manual and it recommends 7,500 miles. But the sticker says 10,200 miles or sep 09 which is 3 months/3 thou miles.
I've always done my own oil changes and plan to stick with the 7,500 it calls for. Any thoughts on this?

My thought on all this is that I hope you enjoy your free coupon while you can. After this they will be as scarce as hen's teeth. My mom occasionally gets her 500 serviced at the Ford dealership just to maintain the warranty. (Yea, I know she doesn't have to do it at the dealership, but she is stubborn) She used to get it done for $19, but in the last year it has jumped to ~$45.
It's a money maker for the dealer.

Originally Posted By: daman
Why??, to make money!!!
What is this psychic gift you have? Do you do personal readings?
LOL.gif
Just funnin' with ya!

My dad used to have a '95 Grand Cherokee 5.2L he got new in '95. He looked in the owner's manual and saw 7500 as an option for OCI, but the stipulation was non-severe service. He drove 95% HWY miles since he travels for a living. I advised against it but both the manual said and the dealership also said it was okay. He often went maybe 500 miles over before he would make it to the dealership for the OC.

After 180k miles, oil would not even register on the dipstick after 3k...I informed him that if he had been doing the OCI at 3-5k then the Jeep would not be using so much oil and then he instantly became a believer. I began changing it for him every 3k until he sold it at 259k...I explained to him that when a vehicle gets older like that and begins using oil, you can't drive 7-8k miles without even checking the oil level and that the safe bet was to change every 3k from then on, on theat particular vehicle at least.

Funny thing is, he gets it done every 3k now on his newest SRT-8 Jeep every 3k with M-1 LOL. Dealer in this case told him it was required on the SRT-8 even though it is using M1.

" informed him that if he had been doing the OCI at 3-5k then the Jeep would not be using so much oil"

What makes you so sure that is true?

Thats because some dealerships are so nice and honest they want to make your wallet lighter so you won't have to carry around the extra weight in cash.. Lets face it a lot of people lease and go the max on oil changes following the owners manuel or oil life monitors.. Personally i say 4000 miles or 4 months and some say that is too much... Any engine we build i recommend 4000 miles but if the original owners manuel says more i cant hold that against the customer, I offer two free oil changes with every rebuild within 8 months just so i know they will change the oil and make my life less stressful with warantee issues

Originally Posted By: StevieC
so they can "recommend" other things that need to be done so they keep lining their pockets!
Ding ding ding...we have a winner!
Originally Posted By: Kruse
It's a money maker for the dealer.
Ding ding ding...and another one!

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
Think of how much money the dealer would make if they could persuade you to come in for 1000 mile oil changes!

and what a waste of natural resources...luckily there are plenty of idiots out there who don't even change their oil to offset the 1000 mile freaks.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
" informed him that if he had been doing the OCI at 3-5k then the Jeep would not be using so much oil"

What makes you so sure that is true?

because I myself have pushed 4 vehicles well over 100k and 2 of them were over 180k and not near the oil consumption as his was with 7500k house dino changes vs. my 3-5k on my vehicles.

Also, on his Jeep after the '95 model, he put 155k on it and did dino every 3k and it used little oil.

that is enough proof for me...

As mentioned above:

1. To make money
2. To check things out in a reasonable time for any issues
3. Old habit die hard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back