Why does Havoline smell the way it does?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a big stash of 5L jugs of GTX with a case of single quarts of havoline to top of the oil when I change it.You open up the Castrol and it smells like..well...what oil should smell like I guess, but the havoline really has a pungent odor to it. What gives? The add pack maybe!? Is it normal?

I have to qualify this-I normally don't sniff oil. However, since they are 2 different products with 2 different additive packages I would expect them to smell differently.

offtopic.gif
Motorcraft 5w20 smells EXACTLY like pork rinds.....at least it does to my sniffer.

Somebody's spent too much time on a pig farm... (We've got 'em near where I live. When the wind shifts, the odor takes your breath away.) I've noticed a "stronger" odor with the TropArtic 10W-30, too. GC "gold" ain't no bed of roses, either. Wouldn't it be a hoot if the mark of a quality motor oil is related to how much it stinks?

quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:
offtopic.gif
Motorcraft 5w20 smells EXACTLY like pork rinds.....at least it does to my sniffer.

I was going to say fatback but pork rinds are close enough.

Ray H wrote:
"Somebody's spent too much time on a pig farm....the odor takes your breath away."

No such thing! That's the smell of money. ...and bacon! Of course, that's how they each smell before they are made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back