Why does Havoline smell the way it does?

I have a big stash of 5L jugs of GTX with a case of single quarts of havoline to top of the oil when I change it.You open up the Castrol and it smells like..well...what oil should smell like I guess, but the havoline really has a pungent odor to it. What gives? The add pack maybe!? Is it normal?

I have to qualify this-I normally don't sniff oil. However, since they are 2 different products with 2 different additive packages I would expect them to smell differently.

Somebody's spent too much time on a pig farm... (We've got 'em near where I live. When the wind shifts, the odor takes your breath away.) I've noticed a "stronger" odor with the TropArtic 10W-30, too. GC "gold" ain't no bed of roses, either. Wouldn't it be a hoot if the mark of a quality motor oil is related to how much it stinks?

quote:
Originally posted by wavinwayne: [Off Topic!] Motorcraft 5w20 smells EXACTLY like pork rinds.....at least it does to my sniffer.
I was going to say fatback but pork rinds are close enough.

Ray H wrote: "Somebody's spent too much time on a pig farm....the odor takes your breath away." No such thing! That's the smell of money. ...and bacon! Of course, that's how they each smell before they are made.