Why does GC have such a low flashpoint?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The three virgin tests on the board show 455 F, 445 F, and 460 F. much higher than the 201 C listed on Castrol Polska's page. Maybe thats just the spec'ed minimum.

ferb!

quote:

Originally posted by Ferb:
The three virgin tests on the board show 455 F, 445 F, and 460 F. much higher than the 201 C listed on Castrol Polska's page. Maybe thats just the spec'ed minimum.

ferb!

F & C
different animals same family...
201C is 394F
50-60 off to me this is not that much higher, but maybe I'm wrong...
455F is 235C
445F is 229C
Also, think about this, that you have to know the Average or median or the Max or the LOW or minimum temp or any other SPEC they give. very often times, one will list hers the top or max spec and there the mimimum spec... and YES they can be this far apart...
Again to me I think this happened.

[ December 02, 2003, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: Robbie Alexander ]

I'm very familiar with Celsius and Fahrenheit, thanks.

But to ME (and only to me maybe) 15% is a darn large variation over the "specification". THATS what i was commenting on.

ferb!

Additionally, I am not impressed with the flow, pump or pour point on the label of 40 degrees and getting a cold weather spec from Castrol is next to impossible (other than someone who called them and the rep said it flowed at -40 not -80). All the excitment about this oil was based on the initial reports of a -80 degree pour point which led to speculation about its ester content. If that number initially reported was the 40 degrees that is on the label, would have everyone been so enthused aout GC? I do, however, like the A3 rating but there are other better know alternatives out there like Amsoil 5w-30 ASL, IMO.

quote:

Originally posted by nick778:
Additionally, I am not impressed with the flow, pump or pour point on the label of 40 degrees and getting a cold weather spec from Castrol is next to impossible (other than someone who called them and the rep said it flowed at -40 not -80). All the excitment about this oil was based on the initial reports of a -80 degree pour point which led to speculation about its ester content. If that number initially reported was the 40 degrees that is on the label, would have everyone been so enthused aout GC? I do, however, like the A3 rating but there are other better know alternatives out there like Amsoil 5w-30 ASL, IMO.

I'm not sure about the pour points being the reason so may people were interested in GC. I thought the UOA's looked really good compared to many well known oils. Good enough to make it worth trying anyway.

The "treasure hunt" aspects of locating it shouldn't be discounted either...
grin.gif

quote:

You need to read the label again. It says the oil can provide "unaided" starts down to -40. Only an oil with a pour point of -60 or less can do that.

I've read the label and who really knows what Castrol means by 'unaided starts'. They do not exactly have a record of disclosing pertinent information that other oil companies release or even being unfront in their marketing (ie, marketing their GIII oils as 'synthetic' as if they were GIV/V). Further, I tend to believe that if this oil's pour point was greater than -40 degrees, Castrol would use the most advantagous number based again on their record.

GC may indeed be a great oil but at this point, I don't think there is enough real information available to make this determination on anything other than speculation baed on very limited and conflicting information. We can debate both sides with equal voracity but in the end, it is just speculation to justify what we'd either like it to be or think it is not. I have a problem making a decision to use a product on this basis. Others may not. Just my opinion.

quote:

I've read the label and who really knows what Castrol means by 'unaided starts'. They do not exactly have a record of disclosing pertinent information that other oil companies release or even being unfront in their marketing (ie, marketing their GIII oils as 'synthetic' as if they were GIV/V). Further, I tend to believe that if this oil's pour point was greater than -40 degrees, Castrol would use the most advantagous number based again on their record.

GC may indeed be a great oil but at this point, I don't think there is enough real information available to make this determination on anything other than speculation baed on very limited and conflicting information. We can debate both sides with equal voracity but in the end, it is just speculation to justify what we'd either like it to be or think it is not. I have a problem making a decision to use a product on this basis. Others may not. Just my opinion.

Several people on here (myself included) have e-mailed Castrol in Germany and gotten the spec sheet for this oil. It has a pour point of -63 C.

quote:

Originally posted by Robbie Alexander:

201C is 394F

201C makes me suspect this oil is not fully PAO/ester.

quote:

Originally posted by Ken4:

quote:

Originally posted by Robbie Alexander:

201C is 394F

201C makes me suspect this oil is not fully PAO/ester.

I don't know where this 201C figure is coming from, but the German spec sheet sent to me by Castrol of Germany lists the flashpoint as 238C. And my own VOA of this oil from Blackstone lists it at 455F, which is 235C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back