Why does BMW recommend Castrol oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked at the engine of my newly aquired 2001 325 BMW, and on the oil caps says "BMW recommends Castrol Oil" or something very similar to that. What's up with that?

Castrol supports BMW F1 and they have a contract for Castrol to Supply oil. My suggestion is use Mobil 1 0w-40 a good group IV oil or German Castrol 0w-30, a good A3 rated oil. Also, change once between each factory recommended interval change if you plan on keeping the car.

My dad's 2004 Volvo XC70 also says Castrol is recommended, both on the oil cap and in the owner's manual. He's been running GC in it since the second oil change (on the first one he used GTX so he stuck with Volvo's wishes)
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Clement:
Hyundai also recommends Castrol in their owners manual.

The Hyundai WRC (rallye) program was sponsored in part by Castrol. Go figure.

Must be some kind of corporate sponsorship or business agreement of some sort.

Same with Ducati....has a sticker near the oil fill hole that recommends use of Shell Advance Ultra 4. I would use this oil, but this oil isn't available in North America. So in goes Mobil 1.

Yup, just like M-B approval of M-1...guess it's become a late 90's trend....selling oil-brand loyalty.

My friend's M-B goes on to say on the fuel door "only used tires made by Michelin, Dunlop, Bridgestone, Pirelli or Continental".

"Why does BMW recommend Castrol oil?"

For the same reason it paid off for Madonna to stick her tongue down Britney Spear's throat on MTV: Marketing, Marketing, Marketing!

[ November 15, 2004, 05:04 PM: Message edited by: TC ]

quote:

My friend's M-B goes on to say on the fuel door "only used tires made by Michelin, Dunlop, Bridgestone, Pirelli or Continental".

That way, when the engine sludges up from using bulk dino 5W-30 for 15,000 OCIs, the dealer can say "HEY...aren't those Goodyears on there?"
lol.gif

there are lots of reasons to put it on, most all revolving around $$$$, but some that could have to do with the calibration of the engine oil life monitors in new modern engines, which are designed for accuracy when running with a specific oil spec/additive package, etc.

People can dislike castrol, people can dislike M1, people can say what they want, but in the end honestly, youre probably best off running the German Castrol (GC) Syntec 0w-30 that you can find only at autozone. It meets BMW long life specs and is good stuff. Cant go wrong using it, IMO.

JMH

Not Castrol, but my my '86 Citroen 2CV (French car) states in the manual to only use TOTAL 15-40

I run Mobil 1 15-50 in it though. I also use a Wix filter for a Simca instead of the OEM Purflux.

:)

quote:

Originally posted by TC:
"Why does BMW recommend Castrol oil?"

For the same reason it paid off for Madonna to stick her tongue down Britney Spear's throat on MTV: Marketing, Marketing, Marketing!

What???

I totally missed that!

That musta been hot!

Fred
fruit.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Clement:
Hyundai also recommends Castrol in their owners manual.

Is this information applicable to any specific Hyundai model, year, or engine? There's nothing about a particular brand of oil in my '03 Sonata's manual. (I have the 2.7L V6.) The manual is generic regarding oil quality to the point of even permitting use of API SG rated motor oils (!), and with no mention at all of the API starburst seal or ILSAC ratings.

quote:

Originally posted by palmerwmd:
What???

I totally missed that!

That musta been hot!

Fred
fruit.gif

Google is your friend. There's literally thousands of websites with video and/or pics of that.

quote:

offtopic.gif

I'd use Castrol if it had a picture of that on the bottle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back