Why does a UPF48r filter result in more engine oil pressure than a PF48e?

I put a UPF48R on the 6.0 today, there is a slight increase in hot oil pressure, it was running 23-25 PSI today hot idle in drive. The Fram EG PH10600 that was on it had caught some carbon, but the pleats still look pretty good. If I move up from RGT 5W30 to T6 5W40, I bet it would make upper 20s hot in drive idle. When spring comes!

I was having the same issue with a filter on my Denali. Hot oil pressure was 17psi. I thought my oil seal or pump was taking a dump. I changed my oil a few weeks ago and went back to a M1 filter and normal pressure came back. 50psi cold, 25psi hot idle and 45 psi cruising rpm. She’ll hit 60 accelerating cold.

CapitalTruck: the new Chevrolet Malibu’s come with a E Core AC DELCO Filter. I can cut one open soon and post it for you

CapitalTruck: the new Chevrolet Malibu’s come with a E Core AC DELCO Filter. I can cut one open soon and post it for you
I’ve l cut the 48E core open from my 4.8 Silverado. I’ve used them exclusively. However, I just bought a couple of 48Rs and will start using them. Seems like you cant go wrong.

Nice to see a decent thread about this issue.

I've had some concerns too about my oil pressure, 2008 95k LY6 6.0 engine. Works like a charm, no oil consumption at all.
Idle oil pressure when properly hot was 20psi, cruising at 1500rpm 30psi. That was using Mobil1 5w-30 fullsyn, WIX XP filter. Changed pressure sensor, no effect.

Decided to go for the oil pickup tube o ring.
Turned out that someone had changed that already. Oil pan was in nice shape, not much sludge and very little metal particles when we went through the sludge with a magnet.

I decided to try running a bit thicker oil, 5w-40 Valvoline Maxlife fullsyn, and the UPF48R filter.

Result was an increase of maybe 3psi in oil pressure. So now idle hot pressure maybe 23psi, cruising at 1500rpm maybe 35psi.

I have a feeling that the aftermarket HV Melling oil pump would solve my low pressure-but the idea of pulling the oil pan, timing cover, & ruining a perfectly good factory balancer (because moronic GM decided to make it interference fit & therefore risky to reuse) just to get 10-15 more oil PSI just isn't very appealing to me! Plus needing a new puller, alignment tools, balancer installer, etc. Why did GM do away with the perfectly good SBC way?

We have to remember, that it's also about the volume that the oil pump makes, not just pressure.

Oil pressure is dependant on oil pump volume output. Can't have one without the other.

My only concern has been a persistent lifter tick (sounds like just one) that pops up whenever it's hot in drive. Van runs like a top otherwise, but I can't believe how much lower the oil pressure is on these LS engines compared to my SBCs of the past. I wouldn't want to have to rebuild it or replace it, it looks like it wouldn't be much fun to get it out & back in again (as are most vans).

My only concern has been a persistent lifter tick (sounds like just one) that pops up whenever it's hot in drive. Van runs like a top otherwise, but I can't believe how much lower the oil pressure is on these LS engines compared to my SBCs of the past. I wouldn't want to have to rebuild it or replace it, it looks like it wouldn't be much fun to get it out & back in again (as are most vans).
I think that when it occurs for a little time after cold start, that's pretty normal. But if it occurs when hot, maybe something wrong?

I remember reading an old thread on some forum, people discussed about this seemingly low oil pressure on LS, someone said that he took a brand new van with the 6.0 for a test drive to see the oil pressure.
It was 20ish hot idle, 30-40 driving if I remember right.

I think that when it occurs for a little time after cold start, that's pretty normal. But if it occurs when hot, maybe something wrong?
It's probably the Ford Typewriter Tick ... aka the BBQ Tick.

Never heard of that before, but apparently Ford has made a statement that it's completely normal and no repairs should be attempted.
Sorry, I thought he had a Ford but see it's a GM, so not the BBQ Tick.

Back