Why do you use the oil brand you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by GreyPanther
Hi! I'm new here but a longtime BITOG reader.

I used Castrol Edge 5W30 in the Crown Vic for a few OCIs, then switched to M1 5W30 HM which is I've been using since then. Dad was a Castrol man so I stuck with that until M1 was on sale at Walmart and always seemed to be cheaper for some reason
21.gif

When I saw Pennzoil's $10 rebate last month I jumped on that, figured I'll give PP a try on my next OCI.

Welcome
smile.gif

I used to use whatever dino was on sale because i had an old car. Then I started using mobil 1 because the internet told me it was good stuff. Then I started using pennzoil platinun with rebates because bitog told me it was as good or better than mobil 1 and it was cheaper. Now I'm looking into whichever euro spec mobil/pennzoil/castrol oil i can get on sale because bitog tells me its better and one of our vehicles requires it.

For many years I've used Pennzoil in large part due to their support of all types and levels of motor racing. From the time I was a kid, I always thought those yellow Pennzoil machines were the best looking on the track. Rick Mears, Lone Star JR, Eddie Hill, The Wild Child, Jerry Eckman, Michael Waltrip, Joey Logano and more. Of course I also believe that they make a great product.

I've been using nothing but STP SYN Full Synthetic 5W20 in my 2017 Jeep Patriot along with the STP MAXIMUM LIFE 15,000 Mile Oil Filter... OCI at 6,000 miles.... Reason being that it's great oil at a reasonable price... As per a Blackstone Labs report on new / unused samples of this oil it came back as a great oil that is nearly identical to Valvoline Full Synthetic yet it's a bit less expensive and easy to find.... My Jeep's been running great, sounds quiet and doesn't burn any oil... It's working, so I'm sticking with it.... Again, good stuff at a good price.

Originally Posted by dpaldino
For many years I've used Pennzoil in large part due to their support of all types and levels of motor racing. From the time I was a kid, I always thought those yellow Pennzoil machines were the best looking on the track. Rick Mears, Lone Star JR, Eddie Hill, The Wild Child, Jerry Eckman, Michael Waltrip, Joey Logano and more. Of course I also believe that they make a great product.

Most of the big brands (and even smaller ones) have been involved in race sponsorships. However, it's my understanding that traditionally a lot of them were where the oil brand didn't necessarily go into the race vehicles. Red Line used to claim that they developed specialty oils for racing that would go into race vehicles even with a different lubricant company name on the hood.

Certainly I remember when there was a perception that there are such things as "bottom of the barrel" motor oils. Several of the big oil refiners used to make relatively inexpensive motor oils, and I remember some who insisted that because they were so cheap they couldn't possibly be as good as Pennzoil, Castrol, or Valvoline. No real proof to that, but what I recall was that Chevron, Shell, and Mobil conventional weren't heavily advertised in the US. Shell still had to fight that reputation (outside of Rotella), so I suppose the great motor oils that they developed with partially European research are sold under the Pennzoil brand. Is there even any motor oil sold in the US as Shell branded outside of Rotella? I don't even see any marketing for it on the Shell US website. I do remember maybe 35 years ago they were marketing "Fire and Ice" branded motor oil in the US.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Kage860
I used to use whatever dino was on sale because i had an old car. Then I started using mobil 1 because the internet told me it was good stuff. Then I started using pennzoil platinun with rebates because bitog told me it was as good or better than mobil 1 and it was cheaper. Now I'm looking into whichever euro spec mobil/pennzoil/castrol oil i can get on sale because bitog tells me its better and one of our vehicles requires it.

Very good summary!
Did you mean to say "none of our vehicles"?
lol.gif

I was once a faithful PUP user but once it became harder to find I switched to M1 EP and since a few years ago I've been a faithful AMSOIL user. AMSOIL is by far my favorite oil but I wouldn't hesitate to go back to the others if I needed

I'd think the majority of those who are brand loyal either used whatever brand dad preferred or responded to some advertising campaign. I'm not super brand loyal, but I've probably used more oil with the Mobil name than not. It was often at a good price point and it was a name I knew. I totally get that I'm subconsciously thinking of all those old Mobil 1 campaigns including them claiming it's being used in race cars to outside in space. I also remember going to a speed shop where they sold Red Line. The parts monkey said that about the only thing the shop considered as good was Mobil 1, and they didn't stock it because they couldn't beat the prices at Target.

I've never used anything engine oil other than something with the Mobil brand name in my 2004 WRX. I just haven't tried anything else. Started with Mobil "Drive Clean" for a few thousand miles (with short OCIs) before switching to Mobil 1 5W-30 and ever since choosing either that or 0W-40.

Mobil 1 0W30. See below as to why. The comparisons were done by SUBARU JAPAN..

0w-30:
High oil temperature engine protection - 4/5
Fuel economy - 4/5
Dirt resistance inside the engine - 5/5
Low temperature starting performance - 4/5
Exhaust gas performance (emissions) - 3/5
Usage feeling (smooth feeling) - 5/5

0w-20 "eco"
High oil temperature engine protection - 2/5 (yikes!)
Fuel economy - 5/5
Dirt resistance inside the engine - 3/5
Low temperature starting performance - 5/5
Exhaust gas performance (emissions) - 4/5
Usage feeling (smooth feeling) - 3/5

0w-20 "standard"
High oil temperature engine protection - 2/5 (yikes!)
Fuel economy - 4/5
Dirt resistance inside the engine - 4/5
Low temperature starting performance - 4/5
Exhaust gas performance (emissions) - 5/5
Usage feeling (smooth feeling) - 3/5

Last edited:
I've been using Supertech 0W20 HM in my Honda Accord, Pilot, and Tundra for the last 2 years. It's a very good oil at a fantastic price. I usually run Honda OEM or Wix filters on the Accord and Pilot and OEM filters only on the Tundra. For my 2017 H-D Ultra (107" M8) I run Castrol Power 1 20W50. It's a great oil at a less than fantastic price, but still less than Harley Syn3.

Originally Posted by Charlie2015
Valvoline Maxlife currently because I only drive piles that burn oil.

Now that's funny...lol

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
This got me thinking. Some folks here I see are brand loyal. I wondered why some folks use say Pennzoil, Valvoline etc.

Some of us use clearance oils (myself included) and I am not brand loyal as I vote with my wallet
wink.gif

QS
Served me well for over 35 years and always a good buy for a quality product.

Not brand loyal at all. I have valvoline, m1 and pennzoil in the garage. I do tend to keep one brand in the car for most of its life though. The avalanche though has had everything from m1- to t-6 to the current valvoline synthetic i stocked up on from the walmart sales a couple of years ago.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back