Why do we wipe off the oil filter mount?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The process of changing an oil filter is a bit strange, we wipe off the old oil and apply new oil to the gasket. Is the old oil not capable of lubing the sealing ring?

I think the wiping process is really an inspecting process, being sure the old sealing ring isn't stuck.

Ha! I wondered that same thing last OC last week. I was looking up wondering why? I guess I'll keep doing it though.

1. It is a good time to inspect for old gasket or some left over gasket material.

2. Old oil might have some material in it that could stop the new gasket from sealing well.

I've pondered the same question and similarly why do we wipe off the dipstick after checking the oil level.

I wipe off the filter mount to remove any dirt that may have built up around the outside of the old filter gasket.

As for the dipstick, as far as I can tell it's just habit.

I have never done it what is the reason? unless dirt gets on the area . I guess it is the same mentality that lets the oil drain overnight.

i would always wipe if off if anything to make sure there isnt an old gasket or gasket material left on there. i would spray it down with brake cleaner and wipe it off with a clean rag.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
i would always wipe if off if anything to make sure there isnt an old gasket or gasket material left on there. i would spray it down with brake cleaner and wipe it off with a clean rag.
Look at the filter that was removed or look at the area . Wiping it off leaves lint from the rag.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Look at the filter that was removed or look at the area . Wiping it off leaves lint from the rag.

ya ive actually had a filter get double gasketed and not leak, so i always checked. and if i saw red lint it got taken off. sometimes i just sprayed it with brake cleaner and looked for clean metal if i was in a rush.

I have never wiped it, I didn't know you were supposed to.
30 years later nothing has happened.

I always oil the rubber gasket before putting the new one on.

You're supposed to wipe the dipstick unless the car has been sitting for a while, and then there is no need. For example first thing in the morning is a good time to check the oil, and no wiping is needed.

I believe he means, why wipe the dipstick a second time after you've checked the oil level, only to stick it back in the oil.

Originally Posted By: ocrstar
I believe he means, why wipe the dipstick a second time after you've checked the oil level, only to stick it back in the oil.

Why? If I do not wipe the dipstick prior inserting it back into the tube, I will drip some oil onto the garage floor.

I normally wipe down the oil filter mount with a shop towel to make sure I haven't left the old gasket on there. A little bit of old oil from the drain pan works fine for lubing the new gasket.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
I wipe off the filter mount to remove any dirt that may have built up around the outside of the old filter gasket.

The gasket on the new filter may not be the same diameter as the gasket on the old filter if it's a different brand.

Generally not necessary to wipe off the filter mounting surface, but either way I would lube the new filter's gasket. Should at least visually inspect the mounting surface.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
I ARX the oil filter mounting flange diligently.
LOL.gif
I'll bet you do! Zinnngggg!

Agree with mechtech, cleaning it serves two purposes for me. Clean all the dirty oil crud (with a shop towel) from the gasket mounting surface and the oil outlet mounting screw area. Also, it does serve as a check to make sure the old gasket is gone. Then I use some fresh oil from the bottle, which I can usually get when I prefill the filter.

As for dipstick, when cold I don't usually wipe. When hot, I wipe the first time because of residual oil that hangs high on the stick from a running engine. If I have to put the stick against a shop towel to see the oil level I may wipe it the second time. If you don't wipe it could drip on the engine. Done that a time or two.

On my Aerostar I wipe the filter mount, this way I know its clean and the gasket is off. Ford set up the 3.0L oil filter to marinate the starter when you remove it, so the less oil the better. I drape a rag over the starter before removing the filter and use that rag to wipe the mounting area. As far as wiping a dipstick, I only do that if I double check the oil, otherwise I don't wipe the dipstick. These habits carry over to other cars as well.

I have changed oil on several cars where the owner or jiffy lube guy had not been cleaning the mount and they were leaking slightly at the filter base due to debris on the mount. Cleaned it up and no more drips. I always inspect and often clean it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back