Why do they keep coming up with new oil filters?

It's an oil filter. All you should need is the thread size, gasket diameter, and length.

www.vice.com/amp/en/article/xykkkd/why-american-farmers-are-hacking-their-tractors-with-ukrainian-
"Tractor hacking is growing increasingly popular because John Deere and other manufacturers" So don't buy any of those manufacturers if you don't like it. Had to have Mercedes in limp mode for 20 miles to get it to a dealer, etc etc.
Proud still to see Ukrainians are buying JD farm equipment.

"Tractor hacking is growing increasingly popular because John Deere and other manufacturers" So don't buy any of those manufacturers if you don't like it. Had to have Mercedes in limp mode for 20 miles to get it to a dealer, etc etc.
Proud still to see Ukrainians are buying JD farm equipment.
And I'm proud to see them hacking JD's software, allowing US farmers to repair their own equipment.

I mean for all cars. There is no reason foa a bazillion different filter sizes.
The worst that I have dealt with is the filter for my friend Debbie's 2015 gorgeous Jeep GC with the turbo diesel. $70 at the dealer. Probably cost 50 cents to make.
In manufacturing engineering, part commonality saves money across the board.
Part of it is packaging...under today's hood, space is at a premium so they fit in a filter wherever they can, likely after everything else. What fits, fits, and if they need to shoehorn it somewhere, guess what....new filter.

Makes absolutely NO sense on a combine or tractor.

I managed a franchise of quick lubes for over 10 years, this was 12 years ago before my health failed and I've done more oil changes, then Craftsman made wrenches.. I did an oil change the other day on my neighbor's rogue, using a tough guard filter. That thing is so small it's unbelievable.. when I was in the quick lube industry.. we used to use the alternative larger one.. for that same vehicle..

And I'm proud to see them hacking JD's software, allowing US farmers to repair their own equipment.
“and other manufacturers” from the article.

This topic was the dealer didn’t have oil filters.
I do know I paid a cart load of money to a Mercedes dealer who had to order Vin spec parts from Germany. Rental car? Oh yes, but we allow you to pay for it. Which we did, being 100 miles from home. Guess what? It was a $100 voltage regulator, not any of the $3000 in parts and labor with special software.

For many years most all lawn tractor and zero turn mowers used the JD 242 filter.
Also known as an AM107423, why I remember that part number after 25 years, I don't know. I worked at a John Deere dealer in the part dept a LONG time ago. We sold hundreds or maybe thousands of that filter. Identical filter that a 1990 4 cylinder Camry took.

I called the dealer and there are no filters available yet. Why can't they use one of the 1000's of filter numbers already out there?
The parts lookup and 800 number phone links provided are DIRECTLY with John Deere Corporation -- not some dink dealership.

Call JD Corp, and investigate and complain to them. Until you get satisfaction, call them every weekday, asking for managerial escalation. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, so to speak. JD can pull filters from some off-shore assembly line and send them to corporate for complaining customer relief!

While you're at it, ask for 3 or 4 each of oil, hydraulic, fuel, and air filters. Perhaps 6 or 12 each is the minimum order they'll take. Do that if necessary. Sell some on eBay, if you wish to recoup some costs.

Last edited:
What surprises me about this is JD does not manufacture filters, they contract “usually” a major manufacturer to make filters to their specifications. For the large farm tractors in the past it has been Donaldson or Fleetguard. Somebody is making that filter and has their own brand alternative with their color paint and decal on it.

What surprises me about this is JD does not manufacture filters, they contract “usually” a major manufacturer to make filters to their specifications.
I am from the vicinity of the JD tractor and engine works in Waterloo, IA. John Deere used to make almost everything that went into their machinery, including engines, transmissions, and hydraulic pumps. They have outsources many components now like the crankshafts, cams, hydraulic pumps, and I'm sure many more components. I assure you JD never made their own oil filters.

Back