Why do some brands only publish tq and not hp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
People ascribe mythical virtues to torque. A posting above demonstrates this. Torque is just a twisting force. That's all. What matters is the horsepower developed at the rpms you're running, and as the formula above shows, that depends on the torque developed at those rpms. Nothing stands alone. Peak hp and peak torque are just marketing numbers. The shape of the hp curve would be the best thing to consider, and the area under the hp curve would be more useful to consider...all too technical to explain to a guy with a black leather jacket and doo-rag on his head, credit card in hand.

"Peak hp and peak torque are just marketing numbers"

Really? All these years that I thought they actually had some relevance.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
People ascribe mythical virtues to torque. A posting above demonstrates this. Torque is just a twisting force. That's all. What matters is the horsepower developed at the rpms you're running, and as the formula above shows, that depends on the torque developed at those rpms. Nothing stands alone. Peak hp and peak torque are just marketing numbers. The shape of the hp curve would be the best thing to consider, and the area under the hp curve would be more useful to consider...all too technical to explain to a guy with a black leather jacket and doo-rag on his head, credit card in hand.
Torque is what gets a 80,000 truck up a 6% grade, not HP.That truck is not running anywhere near the maximum rpm range where you'll develop the maximum HP. You need torque in a usable rpm range for what your driving, not at the redline. Unless your racing. Having 450 ft pds of torque will come in alot more handy then 450 HP.,,

Originally Posted By: KernelK

Torque numbers are more useful if you can see the whole curve across the full rpm range. Otherwise, it's just a single point and it does not tell you the whole story. Having peak torque near the redline and very little of it down below isn't all that great unless you just love to sit near the redline all the time.

Indeed...some bikes tend to have a certain RPM range where they surge and below that are gutless. They may have impressive peak numbers but horribly shaped power curve.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Torque numbers are more useful if you can see the whole curve across the full rpm range. Otherwise, it's just a single point and it does not tell you the whole story. Having peak torque near the redline and very little of it down below isn't all that great unless you just love to sit near the redline all the time.

Pete, having owned 17 motorcycles over more than 40 years, more than a few of which were considered high performance bikes for their time, I am well aware of the "area under the curve". I still believe that peak torque and horsepower are products of a dynamometer not Madison Avenue.

I still believe that peak torque and horsepower are products of a dynamometer not Madison Avenue.

They are products of dynamometer, but Madison Avenue decides whether to use them or not, depending on how good they look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back