Why do salvage yards want cores?

What are they doing with cores. Son in law had a dodge ram with close to 300 thousand on it. Rear end went out so he went to a salvage yard and bought one. The yard wanted his old one exchange. Got the one from the yard installed and it was in worse shape than his old one. Mechanic that did exchange told him, let me just rebuild this one for you. He didn't want to try a salvage yard again. Went back to yard to take his original rear end and get his deposit money. Told them rear end they sold him wasn't any good. Yard said just bring it back and we will return your money. In his case it was cost prohibitive to change it out twice, better to have it rebuilt. In hindsight it would have been much better to have the original rebuilt.

Because someone may just want the rear end body and could careless about the guts, and then they would just charge close to the same price to them. Could also be worth $$$ just as scrap steel X100 other items returned.

Because someone may just want the rear end body and could careless about the guts, and then they would just charge close to the same price to them. Could also be worth $$$ just as scrap steel X100 other items returned.
They also assume that most people won't return them so it is free money for them. Or they give you some unobtainium clause like "must be returned in 7 days for credit" kind of thing.

I’ve never seen one that did. I go to several around me they have never asked for a core but we are also kinda like everybody knows everybody type deal because their are very few outsiders that come in ours since it’s in a small town though it is the biggest truck junkyard on the east coast and the others I go in is the same way so that’s probably why they don’t charge a core to me.

I believe junk yards want the COREs for either for the scrap weight or because the returned item can be sold to be rebuilt.

My local yard has COREs for mostly for heavy items (axle housings, heads, transmissions), aluminum, and key electrical components (alternators, sensors, ECU's)

To me, this means that junk yards profit from parts sales to customers and make a small margin on scrapping off whatever's left. Selling a transmission and not getting a busted one back leaves money on the table when the car goes across the scrap scale.

Revenue generation.
Either through selling the core back to a remanufacturer or for the scrap value.
Their volume makes it worthwhile to them for something that us shade tree guys just can't monetize.

Back