Why do I keep returning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I now have 5 years worth of OEM oil filters, and just over three years worth of oil in my stash. I won't be needing to make any oil related decisions until early 2009 . . . so why do I keep reading and posting here?

Hmmmmmmmmm. Maybe I should just make this site my home page.

lol.gif
I have a three year supply of SL oil myself.
there's more to this place than just oil and filters.
cheers.gif

Ditto. I cleaned out my local Walmart's SM rated Motorcraft 5w20 at $1.58/qt. when they temporarily dropped it. I have enough for 3 years at 6 month intervals, but its still fun to read and post here. I particularly like the ongoing dino vs. syn debate.

I have a years worth of M1 oil and 3 years worth of filters for my two cars. So I'm good until Jan 07 before I need to replenish my stash of oil and 2008 or 2009 before I need to buy a filter.

Glad I bought what I gots with all my "buy3get3for free" coupons at Pep Boys being there is a 'MOTOR OIL' shortage coming on now. Was at W-M yesterday and there were posters posted all over the auto department stating they were having problems getting oil and that it was to get worst later on this year into next. 137qts M1 doing 10thou mile changes-I think I am good for awhile-a BIG while.

???Liteweight???? average 35thou mi per year, rounding off to 4qts per change needed, thats almost 35 changes out of the 137qts!!===at least 10 years worth of M1!!!!!. (Sure glad Mobil has at least a 10 years shelf life.) PS I have over 50++++ FL400s Motorcrafts along with 16 air filters and 10new tires. 98 and 01 Suzuki Swift's averaging 43/45mpg-NO payments-hope to go the next 9to10 years with no more payments!! (just hope no more trees fall in front of me at 50mph as what happened to #2 Metro in a wind storm Dec94/went over 10ft off the ground, 57ft airborn landed nosed into the asphalt and walked away minus one great """cheap""" car!!!)

quote:

Originally posted by gudmund:
???Liteweight???? average 35thou mi per year, rounding off to 4qts per change needed, thats almost 35 changes out of the 137qts!!===at least 10 years worth of M1!!!!!. (Sure glad Mobil has at least a 10 years shelf life.) PS I have over 50++++ FL400s Motorcrafts along with 16 air filters and 10new tires. 98 and 01 Suzuki Swift's averaging 43/45mpg-NO payments-hope to go the next 9to10 years with no more payments!! (just hope no more trees fall in front of me at 50mph as what happened to #2 Metro in a wind storm Dec94/went over 10ft off the ground, 57ft airborn landed nosed into the asphalt and walked away minus one great """cheap""" car!!!)

I've got a tad over 150 quarts of GC on hand, so OK, maybe you're not quite a lightweight, but ya ain't as heavy as I am. . .
tongue.gif
But hey, you bury me on the filters, no contest there.
cheers.gif

And to think that I have trouble with some of my larger users to get enough for a 1 or 2 months worth in advance.
rolleyes.gif

I usually stock about 2-3 oil/filter changes ahead. Usually every year or two some new and better add packs become availiable as do improvments in oil filters. Cars get totaled too and my new one may heve different oil and filter requirements. JMO ed

My gawd! I'm just stressing over how to get rid of a quarter quart of Havoline 5w-30 and an extra quart of Valvoline 5w-30 syn blend. I couldn't imagine having 150 quarts of oil and/or 50+ filters. That's insanity!

quote:

Originally posted by Matt_S:
My gawd! I'm just stressing over how to get rid of a quarter quart of Havoline 5w-30 and an extra quart of Valvoline 5w-30 syn blend. I couldn't imagine having 150 quarts of oil and/or 50+ filters. That's insanity!

Have to disagree...
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. BITOGgers proudly do the same thing over and over and the result is always the same... the stash grows!

quote:

Originally posted by Eddie:
I usually stock about 2-3 oil/filter changes ahead. Usually every year or two some new and better add packs become availiable as do improvments in oil filters. Cars get totaled too and my new one may heve different oil and filter requirements. JMO ed

That's what eBay is for.
quote:

I'm just stressing over how to get rid of a quarter quart of Havoline 5w-30 and an extra quart of Valvoline 5w-30 syn blend.

I am willing to accept free shipments of new motor oil.

[ October 26, 2005, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: BigAl ]

quote:

Originally posted by beanoil:
Have to disagree...
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. BITOGgers proudly do the same thing over and over and the result is always the same... the stash grows!

Too funny! Good point, though. I guess it just boils down to personal preference and priority. I prefer to have my money in a bank, not sitting on the shelf in liquid form, but that's just me.

quote:

I prefer to have my money in a bank, not sitting on the shelf in liquid form, but that's just me.

The oil on my shelf has yielded about a 30% return on my investment in the last 6 months. How's your bank interest?

quote:

Originally posted by BigAl:
The oil on my shelf has yielded about a 30% return on my investment in the last 6 months. How's your bank interest?

I'm not being a smart alec, but have you actually sold any oil recently to verify that claim? You may indeed save money on future purchases, but who's to say those same bargains won't happen again? I know this is going to sound strange, but money in either a bank or the stock market is much more liquid, financially speaking, than a bottle of oil.

I have only 30qts, most are synthetic's, 6 oil filters and those should last me about 2 years. I consider it a hobby not so much as a investment, even though all the synthetics costed me $3.99 normally $5.49. I do change oil in the families cars and if I wanted to I could always charge the normal price and earn a profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back