Why do I get better milage & power with shock dosage of fuel power?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've notice that I get better milage, better cold start up and a broader power band with a shock dosage (2oz per 5 gallons) rathar than the recommended (1oz per 5 gallons) of fuel power.

Car is a 1989 Honda Prelude that is carburated. The car didn't run right before (and still doesn't run quite right, but its getting closer), but is there any real explanation as to why the car runs so much better on a shock dosage than a normal dosage or without?

The stuff is performing somewhat of a fuel system cleaning, as well as getting rid of some of your excess intake deposits? Didn't know Honda was still using that old-fashioned obsolete carburator junk on 1989 models. Anyways, eventually, once this cleaning process has been completed, if you are using decent petrol, the benefits of extra FP should diminish, and you will find yourself best served by the recommended treat rate. Try and use petrol for a reputable distributor, not a bottom-feeding supplier who competes solely on the basis of price while skimping on the additives.

I was pleasantly surprised when I ran some carb cleaner through the carb on my sister's car this weekend, a 1984 Oldsmobile with the 305 cid engine. You should've seen the plumes of black smoke and soot that evolved from the tailpipe. I bet with her driving, tons and tons of short trips, a product like FP would be ideal for her.

[ November 06, 2004, 04:32 AM: Message edited by: pitzel ]

For the most part, I only use BP/Amoco or Shell. The occasional other if I need to/feel like it. I never use speedway ever. I'd ratehr walk.

This isn't the first batch of a cleaner that I have tried. I tried the clear bottle gumout thrice earlier in the summer and that helped up to a point, but the last bottle had no difference. Most likely the car is running better overall because I am replacing parts and things like 15 year old vacuum hoses and such.

But why would I get these benefits when I'm cleaning. I went from 2 oz/5 gallons and ran good, down to 1oz/5 gallons and it ran noticably worse in all aspects. Now that I'm back up to the shock, it's much better. That doesn't make much sense to me.

Nothing you put in your tank will fix worn out parts, but I wonder if what you describe is not related to the oxygen sensor. Pure speculation on my part, but maybe a weak oxygen sensor is compensated by the dosage of FP you use now even though all other things are back up to snuff.

In all fairness, Terry would be the one to make more sense of this than I, but I do like to theorize.
smile.gif

Oxygen sensor was one of the first things I replaced.

List of parts I have replaced:
Oxygen sensor
spark plugs and wires
cap and rotor
a majority of the vacuum hoses
air filter
fuel filter
adjust valve lash
pcv valve
auto RX the engine

and other things which I don't remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back