Why do gear oils smell so awful?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smell bad!
wink.gif

Sulfur compounds are part of the extreme pressure lubrication additive pack needed by hypoid gears. Hypoid gears are found in rear-drive differential ring-and-pinion sets where the centerline of the pinion is offset below the centerline of the ring gear- it allows for the driveshaft to be lower and the floor of the car to be flatter. The gears themselves therefore are sort of halfway between normal straight-cut bevel gears and a worm gear. That means that as the teeth engage and release, they brush across each other while under high pressure. Special additives are needed to keep the specially hardened surfaces from degrading under that kind of contact. Its a bit like flat tappet cams where you have a sliding motion and high pressure at the same time, although not quite as extreme as the tappets.

If you think gear oil smells bad, get a whiff of the limited slip additives. The odor strikes me as super-concentrated BO in a bottle, and you can even smell it through a new, sealed container.

Originally Posted By: turbodieselfreak
If you think gear oil smells bad, get a whiff of the limited slip additives. The odor strikes me as super-concentrated BO in a bottle, and you can even smell it through a new, sealed container.

Yes, this is especially true of the Motorcraft XL-3 additive, which pervades even through 6-7 ziplock plastic bags from a new, sealed bottle!!
crazy2.gif

But despite this (maybe because of this??), it is still the #1 BEST limited slip additive I've ever used.
thumbsup2.gif

I used to work on a farm and one day they had me change the differential oil in all of the old 3 ton grain trucks. It hadn't been done for about 15 years prior to that, I was told...
The smell almost knocked me out :eek:

I was told that whale sperm is used in limited slip additive and that is one of the reasons that it smells so bad. I have no idea how true that is though.

Originally Posted By: Jason2007
I was told that whale sperm is used in limited slip additive and that is one of the reasons that it smells so bad. I have no idea how true that is though.

Just guessing here, but it's more likely sperm whale oil.

Originally Posted By: bigmike
I'd like to see who gets the short straw on the extraction method.

Probably a ton of meth/crack heads ready, willing and able to extract that sperm for $20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back