Why do food companies keep making packages smaller?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) settle on price

2) "now get 10% more, same price!"

3) take away 10% notice and raise price

4) go to slightly smaller than previous size with raised price from above

Repeat.

Businesses aren't in business as a public service . One reason to make money . That's it . If they ran their companies like the federal government they would be out of business and in jail . This economy is the result of academic imbeciles that have never had a private sector job .

I’m not sure why the OP even started this topic. Topic starter answered the question already. If you want to rant, fine, but at least be forthcoming that it’s a rant post.

Here is one for you, it MAY SHOCK some people in here.
YOU MENTION ICE CREAM, how is this for marketing BIG NAME BRANDS and the public is still clueless.
Take about cheapening the size of the product, what about the product itself but with creative marketing you think you are still buying Ice Cream!

We should do a poll =

A.How many people think that Breyers is Ice Cream?
Let me word it another way since people may not get the above question.

B. How many people think, when they go out to the supermarket and buy a 1.5 quart container of Ice Cream they reach in and pick up a container of Breyers. DO you think you are buying Ice Cream? Yes or No

Spoiler = You are not buying Ice Cream. Breyers no long fits the government standard to be labeled Ice Cream. You will NOT see the word Ice Cream ANYPLACE on the container. How is that for creative marketing?
Breyers is labeled a Frozen Dietary Desert NOT Ice Cream, it no longer qualifies to be called Ice Cream
(there maybe still a flavor or two that qualifies, not sure if they made the complete transition yet) But you will no longer find the word Ice Cream on almost all their 1.5 quart containers.

Companies do it because the public (just like pet foods that I posted about) do not read labels of what they are buying anymore, they just assume. Most Supermarket pet foods are labeled like they are buying a meat based product complete with meat photos on the bag when the main ingredient is corn and people buying Ice Cream in the Breyers brand are getting a frozen desert not Ice Cream. :unsure:
0F032960-AB2A-4F41-AE59-2BB5117D70BD.jpeg

It literally says ice cream on the box….

It’s called shrinkflation and it has been going on for a long time. During times like this it gets accelerated by the companies.
Bingo. I picked up a candy bar in the store the other day and was shocked at how tiny it was and the absurd high price!

And companies also raise prices. So a double whammy. Shrink package 10%, raise price 10%, that's a 20% increase to the consumer.

Most long-term consumers won't notice a 10% increase in price or decrease in size. They just note that overall their dollars buy less. New consumers won't have a clue about size.

I’m not sure why the OP even started this topic. Topic starter answered the question already. If you want to rant, fine, but at least be forthcoming that it’s a rant post.
Okay, it's a rant post...

Businesses aren't in business as a public service . One reason to make money . That's it . If they ran their companies like the federal government they would be out of business and in jail . This economy is the result of academic imbeciles that have never had a private sector job .
Unless it's a state school, academic imbeciles ARE working a private sector job. And even state schools aren't 100% funded by the state. While lower grades are funded by federal/state/city, I don't think they have much to do with economic policy.

And if they ran their companies like the federal government, they'd just be out of business, hardly anyone ever went to jail when the mortgage bubble popped last time.

Nothing wrong with ranting, but at least have the rants make sense.

Unless it's a state school, academic imbeciles ARE working a private sector job. And even state schools aren't 100% funded by the state. While lower grades are funded by federal/state/city, I don't think they have much to do with economic policy.

And if they ran their companies like the federal government, they'd just be out of business, hardly anyone ever went to jail when the mortgage bubble popped last time.

Nothing wrong with ranting, but at least have the rants make sense.
His whole cabinet never had a private sector job . Do your research . All professional public dole takers .
Who made the whole mortgage collapse , guess who . They were forced to make loans to people that didn't deserve them .
Dodd Frank Act . Chris Dodd and Barney Frank . The two clowns who were responsible for the collapse . So you see know what goes on , NPR probably didn't tell you that .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back