Why do auto parts stores not carry bolts needed for cars

My daughters BMW bolt broke that holds the bracket for her tensioner pulley.
OMG a nightmare getting the bracket off to remove the bolt. Its the entire oil filter housing bracket.
M8 bolt 110 mm long(4 1/8 )
Advanced or napa did not have it. Couldn't even offer to get one.
This is a grade 8.8 bolt, I guess this is a standard metric grade.
I ended up getting two at ACE that was a bit longer and will be cutting 1/4 off it so it wont bottom out.
Just venting why auto parts stores don't have what we need to repair our cars.

Bolts are interesting subject. My 84 Mazda coolant drain bolt is no longer carried by most places. Add the odd thread pitch it was a special order through Mazda only. Maybe they assume most wont ever need a bolt for anything.

I'm not surprised they don't carry non standard and specialty sizes. I am surprised that they couldn't order it.

I would recommend when needing fasteners try Fastenal or a local industrial supplier

Even big box hardware stores don't carry a lot of common automotive hardware. Had to go to a local hardware store to find them.

They do carry bolts. I can’t speak for BMW but I have found bolts and cotter pins and push nuts etc there that I have needed that I didn’t have in the bolt bucket I know Advance Auto sells bolts usually that’s where I find the ones I need.

They did have shorter M8 bolts just not the longer one I needed.
I hope the quality is as good.
Both the old and new bolts had 8.8 on the head.from what I read thats the metric grade

OMG a nightmare getting the bracket off to remove the bolt. Its the entire oil filter housing bracket.
I ended up getting two at ACE that was a bit longer and will be cutting 1/4 off it so it wont bottom out.
Do you have any idea how many bolts/nuts that would require??? Too much for auto parts store. Specialty fasteners are just that. OEM specs them to a certain specification for a reason. For any kind of fasteners I go to a hardware store and even then some have more than others. If you really have a weird one try a tractor dealer, doesn't matter which one, they have a lot of them you could use on a auto/truck.

The Napa I use has a good selection of Metric but the Ace hardware is amazing here, hardened stainless metric and 10.9 and 12.9 bolts even small and reg head flange in SS and 10.9 in almost every length,chrome too. I rarely have to cut them.
Some specialty bolts are dealer or online only but its rare you need them unless the original is rotted or someone tossed it.

It may be because there were a lot of Euro car dealers here for decades and lots of Euro cars are around.

Reactions: JC1
why auto parts stores don't have what we need to repair our cars.
Because they're in business to sell stuff, not stock obscure inventory for an item that they may have someone need once every 2-1/2 years. The fact that they wouldn't even special order it says everything....

My local Ace has a tremendously good selection of automotive hardware.

Lots of specialty plastic body clips, constant-tension hose clamps (Mubea clips), etc. I don't bother looking anywhere else and definitely not Home Depot.

110 MM length is not a common size. Many metric bolt manufacturers stop at 100mm long. Stocking up to 60mm in 80, 10 and 12 in various pitches covers most of what we need

Reactions: JC1
We carry certain hardware that is common, especially with so many newer vehicles using One Time Use hardware that is required for warranty work.
But only for Fords less than 10 years old? ;) Actually my local dealer did have rear axle nuts for my Focus but they were $45 each. so I ended up re-using them. I was surprised the auto parts places didn't carry those nuts though, seems like there's a bit of profit margin available.

But only for Fords less than 10 years old? ;) Actually my local dealer did have rear axle nuts for my Focus but they were $45 each. so I ended up re-using them. I was surprised the auto parts places didn't carry those nuts though, seems like there's a bit of profit margin available.
All depends, there is some hardware still used now that have been used for 20+ years. Heck there are still some diff bearings used now that the prefix is B7A which means 1957.

Had the same issue on my 97 Honda civic rear lower control arm. Bolts are m10 by 80mm 1.25 thread. I called Honda and the parts guy said oh you don't wanna buy them here they are $21 each and i was worried that I would need 6 bolts for both sides.

I found a local fastener supply and I was able to get some 80 mm and mm bolts for under $4 each.

I bought extra just in case. local car parts stores only had up to 60mm long.

I guess it's economics they might not sell a lot of bolts that long. I guess that most cars go to the scrap yard. My car is 23 years old and I'm just replacing these parts now.

Back