Why do auto parts stores not carry bolts needed for cars

If it’s anything important, you don’t want parts store bolts anyways. They’re made by Dorman. Ick.

You're better off doing what you did and going to the hardware store.

My daughters BMW bolt broke that holds the bracket for her tensioner pulley.
OMG a nightmare getting the bracket off to remove the bolt. Its the entire oil filter housing bracket.
M8 bolt 110 mm long(4 1/8 )
Advanced or napa did not have it. Couldn't even offer to get one.
This is a grade 8.8 bolt, I guess this is a standard metric grade.
I ended up getting two at ACE that was a bit longer and will be cutting 1/4 off it so it wont bottom out.
Just venting why auto parts stores don't have what we need to repair our cars.
i was a commercial parts pro at advance auto for over 7 years and i still know where that bolt would be, at least the metric thread. the question is a a fellow beamer owner, i'm about to get my third in a couple of days, why did the bolt break. now back to advance, the carquest deal is garbage. and i have first hand bad experience . needed a new gas cap, part was garbage it broke off leaving a piece in the filler so i could not pump gas. i returned the cap and blasted the women to get me the store tools to get the piece out, which i did and used the original part that is now 15 years old !!

My daughters BMW bolt broke that holds the bracket for her tensioner pulley.
OMG a nightmare getting the bracket off to remove the bolt. Its the entire oil filter housing bracket.
M8 bolt 110 mm long(4 1/8 )
Advanced or napa did not have it. Couldn't even offer to get one.
This is a grade 8.8 bolt, I guess this is a standard metric grade.
I ended up getting two at ACE that was a bit longer and will be cutting 1/4 off it so it wont bottom out.
Just venting why auto parts stores don't have what we need to repair our cars.
i believe much of this thread is about parts for so called older vehicles, or the exotic metric stuff. i think that the good ole USA should bite the tongue and convert to the metric system. on a side note not all advance stores are created equal, mine was a hub store at least 2 of my large commercial accounts had total lifetime purchases of close to a million bucks. my car only goes to geoff at big g for maintenance

It just doesn't make sense from an economic sense for them (or their suppliers actually) to stock what are effectively, and rightly so, almost "dealer only parts". A particular fastener may only be used on one vehicle model for a component that rarely needs replaced.

I'm also guessing that most people given a car that's older wouldn't bother doing these repairs, when the cost of the repair at a dealer is probably as much as the car is worth. Since I'm going this repair myself. I'm saving at least 50% if not more.

Even big box hardware stores don't carry a lot of common automotive hardware. Had to go to a local hardware store to find them.

Big box hardware stores normally (at least in the US) do not carry much in the way of metric hardware, which is disappointing.
I do wonder how that works in Canada.

Big box hardware stores normally (at least in the US) do not carry much in the way of metric hardware, which is disappointing.
I do wonder how that works in Canada.
I checked Home Depot and Lowe's. HD was a waste of time but it's close to my house, So I always check there first. Lowe's had one or two metric M10 *80 mm 1.25 thread they are all in separate bags. Also checked Canadian Tire which didn't have anything longer than a 60mm bolt.

We don't have Ace hardware, so that's not an option. Place I went was a local independent industrial fastener supply and the girl at the counter was very helpful.

I checked Home Depot and Lowe's. HD was a waste of time but it's close to my house, So I always check there first. Lowe's had one or two metric M10 *80 mm 1.25 thread they are all in separate bags. . Place I went was a local independent industrial fastener supply and the girl at the counter was very helpful.

Thank you for the response! However, it was exactly what I was expecting.

Reactions: JC1
No problem it's just a big time waster when you are trying to get something fixed. Good thing I don't need the car right away. I have extra bolts now for the next repair 15 years from now lol.

No problem it's just a big time waster when you are trying to get something fixed. Good thing I don't need the car right away. I have extra bolts now for the next repair 15 years from now lol.

I've been ordering these in metric off eBay (and in stainless steel) and keeping a small stock of them for use on cars:
s-l1600.jpg

One thing I learned is she just got to make sure you get the correct grade Bolt

Back