Why Dino over Syn Oil?...price, performance, OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Dan55
If your car is under warranty and the manufacturer reccomends 6/mo or 5k OCI it's pointless to run synthetic.

Unless you've got an engine that's tough on oil, or you're towing/racing with your rig. Or the manu calls for syn oil.

If you aren't operating under extreme heat conditions like a Turbo/Racing applications or in extreme cold weather or for long OCI's then there is no point to run a Syn IMO!
wink.gif

For normal use, dino, but since synth is so cheap, i usually blend some into the mix, for good measure.
For abnormal use - planning really long trip, ultra cold weather, use synth. Because synth like Napa for instance is 3$ per quart,
i blend my own 50:50 mix, using MC, which is 2.50 a quart, or other cheap dino, like YB or WB or GB, or even ST. that splits the difference.

Personally, neither of my vehicles need synthetic, so my ONLY advantage would be an extended drain. But I'm way to fidgity and find I end up changing is as frequent as dino anyway.

There are pros and cons to each, but for my 2 vehicle applications, synthetic is overkill. My money is better spent in other places. I'm confident that each of my engines will significantly outlast the rest of the vehicle.

Despite all of this, my Malibu has a crakcase full of Mobil 1... LOL. [censored] this place
wink.gif

Zulu, depending on your driving, climate and engine you might be wasting a ton of money driving any less than 8-10K miles on your Syn.

There are plenty of people on this board going that long on M1.

I change my mobil 1 syn about 3 times a year. i could care less about "wasting". If im spending 30$ an oil change, and i only do it every 4 months, what is $7 bucks a month really, when i spend hundreds maybe thousands in gas for the car. replacing a motor would cost me alot more in the long run. i am at 140k miles so far.

Last edited:
But you wouldn't be replacing the motor any sooner with a longer OCI, and you would be helping the environment and oil prices!
wink.gif

Why waste money if you don't have to. You might as well use Dino then.
21.gif

This topic is intriguing. "Synthetic" just sounds sophisticated, sexy compared to "conventional".

I know it's early, but this topic is about to go off the first page with only 10 replies. Makes it sound like members favor synthetic.

I use whatever oil is the best for the $$. Happens to be 95% of the time conventional.

As someone who puts a LOT of miles on his vehicles over the last 30+ YEARS (longer than some of our members age here) and I'm able to watch the engines last and last with no issues. (200k PLUS)

That is on yesterdays conventional oils and we KNOW that today's are quite a bit better.
01.gif

Originally Posted By: 00firebird
I change my mobil 1 syn about 3 times a year. i could care less about "wasting". If im spending 30$ an oil change, and i only do it every 4 months, what is $7 bucks a month really, when i spend hundreds maybe thousands in gas for the car. replacing a motor would cost me alot more in the long run. i am at 140k miles so far.

2000 Firebird. $30 x 3 = $90 per year. Times 9 years = $810 for 140k (which is NO big deal for miles) About 5k per OCI.

Using Mobil 5000 for the SAME OCI will save you about half.

And in the end, you and your engine would not know the difference. (But Mobil thanks you!)

At $3 a gallon for gas, that would be over 100 gallons of fuel. Enough to go over 2000 miles down the road @ 20mpg.

I know where I'd rather put my money... (ok, I'd rather buy another weapon
grin2.gif
but I have to get to work)

Between the 2, I'll save the $$ on oil and put it towards something that MATTERS.
cheers3.gif

Take care, Bill

This topic doesn't make to much sense to me. I could see why someone would be curious as to why you would use (syn over dino) but not the other way around.

reason i use SYNTHETIC OIL is because i can get 5 qts of it at wal-mart for around 16 dollars and i can change oil at 6,000 miles instead of at 3500 or so on dino oil.

5 qt jugs at that price for syn oil is way i have gone for years.i used to get it for 12 dollars for 5 qts.i bought 10 jugs 3 years ago at 12 dollars.its still deal at 16 or 17 dollars.

Performance: Known sludge monsters, turbo'd,..... need all the help they can get. OHC/DOHC/VVT motors will also need the improved cold flow/pumpability.

Price: I follow rebates, closeouts, sales, BOGOs.... and price isn't an issue.

OCI: Its good to know that you can be late with an OCI and not worry about it.

Originally Posted By: sproulman
reason i use SYNTHETIC OIL is because i can get 5 qts of it at wal-mart for around 16 dollars and i can change oil at 6,000 miles instead of at 3500 or so on dino oil.

5 qt jugs at that price for syn oil is way i have gone for years.i used to get it for 12 dollars for 5 qts.i bought 10 jugs 3 years ago at 12 dollars.its still deal at 16 or 17 dollars.

Please let everyone know the syn oil you are buying at everyday price @ Wal-Mart for $16. Their cheapest is Supertech for $17.50 and then QS for $18. PP is $20 with Mobil 1 being between $23-27 depending on the flavor.

QS conventional is $10.50, Motorcraft and Mobil 5000 $11, Pennzoil, Castrol @ $12. Valvoline is $13.50 with Maxlife @ $14.50.

All 5 qt jugs.

Also, 3500 miles is a waste for 99% of engines out there for a OCI. Try 5k. You are wasting your $$ with a 6,500 mile OCI on ANY syn unless you have a engine that REQUIRES it and the MFG has a low OCI (thinking Subaru Turbo)

Take care, Bill

PS:
welcome2.gif

Bill As you are well aware auto manufactures spec different items on different cars.... Better tires, brakes, shocks, seats, etc. It is all about the market, performance, economy, price, etc.

For seemingly being a nice guy with great information.... you sure have a smart [censored] streak in you.

You take care........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back