why change oil on low mileage car consuming oil

Originally Posted by NewC-05
our 2018 Compass is still consuming 1 qt of oil every 2,500 miles (~ 6months). we only put about 6,000 miles a year on it and after 2 years have 13,300 on the OD. the first oil report had a TBN of 3.5 using Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20. my thoughts are to top off at 6 months and then 6 months later change filter and top off again. setting the money argument aside to just do the OCI, what conditions would degrade the oil enough to warrant yearly oil changes in a new car that consumes oil ?

Until your powertrain warranty is up 12 month changes.

After that you can do 24 month changes.
It will be fine with 4-5 qt of add oil.

Last edited:
I would try a different brand of oil if I were you. I have a 2016 dart that has the same 2.4 tigershark engine and it also burns oil. I have tried 4 different oils running two changes back to back and my results are

Pennzoil platinum 0w20- 1 quart every 2500 miles
Pennzoil gold 0w20- 1 quart every 3000 miles
Schaeffer's 0w20- 1 quart every 4000 miles
Rotella gas truck 5w20-1 quart every 5,500 miles

I know some people will argue that there cant be that much difference in oil brands but this has been my experience. I currently have a big stash of pennzoil gold but once that runs out I'll definitely be going back to rotella gas truck.

Definitely a difference in oil consumption between brands. My 2010 Chrysler Sebring with the older 2.4L World Engine uses roughly a quart of oil between 6k oil changes. And my car is sitting at 202,700 miles right now. I used Harvest King full synthetic oil and was losing almost a quart at the halfway point. I've run mostly Pennzoil Platinum since I've had the car except for a few changes with the HK. But my last change was with Valvoline HM Maxlife full synthetic. First oil change with a high mileage oil.

L8R,
Matt

Originally Posted by 07hemi
I would try a different brand of oil if I were you. I have a 2016 dart that has the same 2.4 tigershark engine and it also burns oil. I have tried 4 different oils running two changes back to back and my results are

Pennzoil platinum 0w20- 1 quart every 2500 miles
Pennzoil gold 0w20- 1 quart every 3000 miles
Schaeffer's 0w20- 1 quart every 4000 miles
Rotella gas truck 5w20-1 quart every 5,500 miles

I know some people will argue that there cant be that much difference in oil brands but this has been my experience. I currently have a big stash of pennzoil gold but once that runs out I'll definitely be going back to rotella gas truck.

You specifically mentioned different Pennzoils. But not your specific Schaeffer-used.

Originally Posted by NewC-05
our 2018 Compass is still consuming 1 qt of oil every 2,500 miles (~ 6months). we only put about 6,000 miles a year on it and after 2 years have 13,300 on the OD. the first oil report had a TBN of 3.5 using Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20. my thoughts are to top off at 6 months and then 6 months later change filter and top off again. setting the money argument aside to just do the OCI, what conditions would degrade the oil enough to warrant yearly oil changes in a new car that consumes oil ?

I agree that you need to get on the list of affected customers and you did so well within the warranty period. Keep all documentation, period.
About changing the oil, first it's a newer vehicle so you really don't have a choice if you want to keep the warranty intact. But even if it were out of warranty, by the oil consumption and your annual mileage, it sounds like you'd be adding a little over 2 quarts per year. I'm not sure of the sump size but I'm guessing that's about half the capacity. So not changing the oil just because you're adding fresh oil would be like changing half the oil every year on an engine that burns no oil. I hope that makes sense, it does in my mind at least. So be sure to do the service as required at least while you're under warranty. But don't add a full quart toward the end of the cycle, that just seems wasteful. Add only enough to get you to the end of the service interval so you're near the low mark when you drain the sump.

Originally Posted by 07hemi
Schaeffer's supreme 9000 full synthetic

Thank you for the clarification.
I see you're testing the QSUD currently.
I once used a different oil brand and different filter at every oil change. Maybe I'll go back to that too.

The qsud is what I use in my dodge ram, I haven't tried it in the dart yet. Normally I dont like to switch brands but with the 2.4 burning oil like it was I changed my mind

Rotella Gas Truck.....5w20. I would bet every dollar in my account that consumption would go down, but you should look into FCA and issues with that engine.

all great ideas, insight and suggestions, that's why I love this site
smile.gif
my mood has changed from diminished to hopeful, Thanks everyone

i've narrowed it down to …

yearly oil changes regardless of consumption …. UGH, not likely

try Pennzoil Gold blend or Schaeffer's or any MS-6935 HM

last resort, 2 year oil change while adding make up oil not to accede 10k miles on the original fill mileage with report

Let me guess this is your last Compass

Even if it's burning off at that rate you're still cycling old oil, will lead to sludge build up and whatnot in the long run. I would just change it once a year.

They just sent out recall for this Yesterday
Hopefully the recall includes new pistons rings
nope, reprograming the PCM ... we got the letter in the mail last week. Quote from MyJeepCompass.com "Apparently certain conditions cause the engine to draw a vacuum that must suck oil into places it shouldn't go. The software is supposed to reprogram the engine to avoid this."

Let me guess this is your last Compass
Yep. The wife wanted an impractical Mini Cooper Countryman or a oil burner Compass, neither a win win for me :(

Even if it's burning off at that rate you're still cycling old oil, will lead to sludge build up and whatnot in the long run. I would just change it once a year.
not sure if that's a valid point about sludge ...
  • Synthetic oil does not react to temperature changes as petroleum based motor oil. Synthetic motor oil will not thicken during cold temperatures which will make engine starting and oil pressure buildup better.
  • Synthetic motor oil does not evaporate as quickly. This reduces the risk of oil sludge and replacing oil as often
  • Natural petroleum based oil motor oils will break down at high temperatures. At this high temperature oxidation can occur which will develop deposits and varnish. These also can cause sludge. Synthetic oil does not have these problems.
in 14 months i've added almost 3 qts with only 5,570 driven. Since Nov.2020, every fill-up I make sure its to the full mark.

nope, reprograming the PCM ... we got the letter in the mail last week. Quote from MyJeepCompass.com "Apparently certain conditions cause the engine to draw a vacuum that must suck oil into places it shouldn't go. The software is supposed to reprogram the engine to avoid this."

Yep. The wife wanted an impractical Mini Cooper Countryman or a oil burner Compass, neither a win win for me :(

not sure if that's a valid point about sludge ...
  • Synthetic oil does not react to temperature changes as petroleum based motor oil. Synthetic motor oil will not thicken during cold temperatures which will make engine starting and oil pressure buildup better.
  • Synthetic motor oil does not evaporate as quickly. This reduces the risk of oil sludge and replacing oil as often
  • Natural petroleum based oil motor oils will break down at high temperatures. At this high temperature oxidation can occur which will develop deposits and varnish. These also can cause sludge. Synthetic oil does not have these problems.
in 14 months i've added almost 3 qts with only 5,570 driven. Since Nov.2020, every fill-up I make sure its to the full mark.
Hopefully the software update will help with the oil burning. FCA really don’t seems to care for there customers also along with a few other manufacturers

Why is a Mini Cooper countryman impractical?

FCA does care about there customers they goodwill stuff like crazy.

FCA service docs say 1 quart in 2500 miles is well within ok. I know many say no engine should use any oil but we all know there are some that do and it’s not that excessive to have to add a quart every 6 months in this case IMO. I would be ok with it. At least you know about it and aren’t driving it till the oil light comes on or it stalls at stop lights

I wonder if these newish cars that seem to consume excessive amounts of 0W20 would still consume if they were using a W30?
For years new cars consumed oil even when thicker HTHS was used...

Screenshot_20210123-071731_Samsung Internet.jpg

Back