Why buy any other synthetic than Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am writting this to express my frustration with some of the more expensive synthetic motor oils, Such as : Amsxxx, Shafxxx, Royxx Purxx. Synthetics are a definite improvement over convential oil but the amount that these oils are better that Mobil 1 is not worth the extra money in my opinion. Case in point: I have a 1990 Dodge with 260K mile on it. IT has had mobil1 since 1000 miles. I have nevr had it apart except for the valve cover, and it is still like new clean, No sludge. A compression test has shown that all cylinders are within 5% of factory specs. If I had run one of these higher priced synthetics, would I have better results. I think not. True MObil1 is a giant step over conventional oil, and is well worth the price difference. But the amount that these other higher priced synthetics are better than Mobil1, is in my opinion negligible, and not worth the price.

Here is how I look at it. For a car with tons of HP, I'd go with Redline. There oils are built better for racing and there is really no arguing that. Amsoil makes excellent oils as well. I think when Mobil was using Trisynthetic all of those years, Amsoil was ahead of Mobil 1. Now, I think Mobil 1 has closed the gap and in some instances, surpassed the regular Amsoil line, but it won't be for long until Amsoil buys the latest and greatest additives from supplier X and builds a great oil. Amsoil also has many viscosities to chose from. I think they all have there place in the market. $ for $, it's hard to match what Mobil gives you. I think their oils have proven to be superb. You could also argue that running dino every 3k is the way to go. Mobil 1 though is a great oil for 99% of most cars on the road. Racing is another story which of lately has intrigued me. I'm trying to see how well M1 15w-50 can hold up under racing conditions.

[ August 21, 2003, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Royal purple is cheaper than mobil 1 where I live, although I cannot say that it is any better. Amsoil and redline are thicker and seem to do better in certain engines than Mobil 1, although they are more expensive.

Competition is good for business and the consumer, who has more options available. I just thought I'd throw those 2 cents in...
wink.gif

I'm with you. I just go with the Mobe.

quote:

Originally posted by Russ_Knize:
I am writting this to express my frustration with some of the more expensive synthetic motor oils, Such as : Amsxxx, Shafxxx, Royxx Purxx. Synthetics are a definite improvement over convential oil but the amount that these oils are better that Mobil 1 is not worth the extra money in my opinion. Case in point: I have a 1990 Dodge with 260K mile on it. IT has had mobil1 since 1000 miles. I have nevr had it apart except for the valve cover, and it is still like new clean, No sludge. A compression test has shown that all cylinders are within 5% of factory specs. If I had run one of these higher priced synthetics, would I have better results. I think not. True MObil1 is a giant step over conventional oil, and is well worth the price difference. But the amount that these other higher priced synthetics are better than Mobil1, is in my opinion negligible, and not worth the price.

Russ has a point, and I agree with his logic.
In his application, how could any other engine oil do a better job?
He has the oil salesmen grasping for straws.
"Well for higher HP applications......"
"Well in post tri-syn days........."
Can't anyone come up with a better oil for Russ and his Dodge?

quote:

If I had run one of these higher priced synthetics, would I have better results. I think not.

Shafxxx blend is $2.80/quart,not higher priced.
I used to think PAO was the end-all of specs that I needed to know about.Not anymore.It's the additive package that makes the difference with 95%+ of liquid-cooled engines.
It's only when you approach the limits of the base oils that synthetics shine,IMHO.
Another item I must confess to is my addiction to Lube Control/Fuel Power & AutoRx.The more I learn,the more I'm impressed.

Mark

[ August 21, 2003, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

for the best store bought locally oil, mobil 1 is the best and it shows that its the best. I also use amsoil too, but i use that in my jetski because its cheaper than paying 8 bucks for mobil mxt 10w40. As for which is the better oil, im sure either will make your engine last much much longer than conventional oils. Redline is way too expensive for my checkbook.

It is the reverse here. A 4 litre pack of M1 SS 0w40 sells for S$97, while 4 quarts of RP sells for S$38.

For 95% of the cars and trucks out there, I agree M1 is all you need. At $3.78 qt. in the jug it's an unbeatable value for being so easily obtainable.

Redline is if you have a high performance car that you like to wring out regularly AND you want your engine to last 150K. Then it's worth the extra in my book.

Ken4;
Why would anyone buy a foriegn oil in Singapore?
I read that the far-east has the best refineries in the world.
As far as RedXXx, AMSXXX, and the RestXXX, being better than MOBXXX, for this application or that application......
One question.
Are these suggestions opinion or fact?

It's called the law of diminishing returns and for just about every product category there's a price point where double the money doesn't get you double the performance/quality. But there'll always be sickos like us on this board who will search for that extra 2% of performance even if it costs twice as much.

Regarding oil, modern engines which are well-maintained with any oil last longer than most people keep cars. Usually people just want something new or get tired of spending money replacing accessory items before engine wear becomes a factor. For most of us, Mobil 1 is probably overkill.

Matt

From the state of straight shooters, thankyou Matt from Texas.
With his second post, he hit the nail on the head.
Hey Matt, you must be one of those no BS Republicans.
OK ok where is that welcome icon?
welcome.gif

quote:

He has the oil salesmen grasping for straws.
"Well for higher HP applications......"
"Well in post tri-syn days........."
Can't anyone come up with a better oil for Russ and his Dodge?

Ah, we have a wise guy here. I'm not a saleman but the added chemistry is evident in Redline and certain Amsoil oils and there for it has its place among the racing community Thats all I can say.
tongue.gif

[ August 21, 2003, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

userfriendly thats interesting re the Far East refineries being the best as the best commercially available petrol (gasoline) available here is Evo 98 from an 'Asian refinery'. I'd like to read up on this, do you have an URL available? Also this thread forgets Motul product which is excellent and readily available most places although not sure about U.S situation?

quote:

Originally posted by userfriendly:
Ken4;
Why would anyone buy a foriegn oil in Singapore?
I read that the far-east has the best refineries in the world.
As far as RedXXx, AMSXXX, and the RestXXX, being better than MOBXXX, for this application or that application......
One question.
Are these suggestions opinion or fact?

Well there is a good test. A few of us should try mobil 1 in are vehicles and do a UOA and then switch to another synthetic and do the same. I have mobil 1 5w30 in my camry and will do a UOA on it this fall. If the wear numbers aren't SUPER low, then I will switch to another synthetic and try again. I have RP 5w30 in my truck and if the wear numbers aren't SUPER low, then I will switch to Mobil 1. Oh wait......then when will I get to try the german castrol I just bought.....DOH!!!
grin.gif

even though I've run Red Line exclusively in my truck, everywhere, for 20,000 miles, I now have Mobil 5W30 in my Mustang (03 GT). I still use Red Line D4 ATF in the manual tranny, but for the 3,000 -5,000 mile interval that i am planning (for warranty purposes) I will stick with Mobil 1. 95% of street driven vehicles don't need anything more than Mobil.
If you have a 350 plus HP engine, I could see using the Red Line brand in the engine, but then again, you should take full advantage of the extended drain interval (12-18,000 miles).

Mobil is great at the 3,000-5,000 mile intervals.

[ August 21, 2003, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: mf150 ]

Russ, though I agree that your math is correct and your logic too, I think the equation is more complicated than that.

When you compare the cost of the oil to the purchase price plus the cost of gas, the oil is a small part of that equation.

The other thing is we want to keep our engines running as close to new as possible, with like new hp and like new smooth feel & sound. That's always more important than how many miles the next owner can run the engine.

Then there is the "Do I realy own this!" factor. Lets say you always wanted car X, but it is just out of the question for your wife, so you just concede to the situtation. One day the two of you are relaxing on the patio with your mom, and your wife brings up the fact that your best friend just got an X with all the options, making fun of the way you drooled all it. Mom responds, "Why don't you just get one then if it's what you realy want." You just smile...

The next morning your wifes says: "So are you going to get that X today like your Mom said?" You say: "sure, I'll pick one up on the way home, luv ya." She says: "Wait, your Mom is right, if that's what you want, go get one." So you decide to think it over a bit and get on your way to work.

At work you mention this conversation to the guys who respond by asking assuming questions like what color, and when are you going to get this X?
Later in the day, the guy with the new X, (which has more opions than you would ever consider,)joins you for a short break and says I have good news and bad news. First I just got the promotion of my dreams, big raise and bonus. "Sounds great, what could the bad news be?" He says: "My first assignment is two years in Europe. I'll have to sell the X, and you know I'll take a beating on it."

Three weeks later you Mon is bragging about her son who still is smart enough to follow her advise and your wife is consistently asking if she can drive the X today. You answer yes most of the time, but today you say: "sorry, I need to change the oil today."

Now, which oil you going to choose? Keep in mind that the answer has little to do with either math or logic, and more to do with preserving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back